Enchanted | Teen Ink

Enchanted MAG

February 19, 2009
By RobynAugust BRONZE, Toronto, Other
RobynAugust BRONZE, Toronto, Other
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't always a light at the end of the tunnel … or the well. That is exactly what Princess Giselle (Amy Adams) discovers when she is cast down one by the evil Queen Narissa (Susan Sarandon) ­because of the threat she poses to the crown. She emerges in a very scary place: modern-day Manhattan.

Her fiancé, Prince Edward (James Marsden), jumps in to try a rescue. Meanwhile, in Manhattan, Giselle meets a charming divorce attorney, Robert (Patrick Dempsey), who has a child and is planning to get married.

He takes her in out of sympathy and she begins falling for him and learns about life in the big city. Thus ensues a romantic comedy appropriate for even young children. The story line – a graceful jump from animated fairy tale to live-action comedy – makes this movie ­enchanting. Ten points for ­Disney.

What else would you expect from this flawless cast that ­includes Julie Andrews as ­narrator? The phenomenal Adams is an excellent choice for the clueless princess, and Marsden is great as the egocentric prince.

Although the cast is excellent, there are always those ­behind the scenes making the magic happen. “Enchanted” was lucky to have an experienced crew, beginning with ­director Kevin Lima.

The only thing I did not find entertaining was the cheesy music. They could have used a jazzier tone in the soundtrack, like in the Shrek movies. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the catchy calypso beat of “That's How You Know.” What sold the songs was the fabulous, fun choreography.

“Enchanted” was nominated for three Oscars for Best ­Original Song. Move over, “Snow White” – there's a new classic in town. “Enchanted” may take its place as the most original cliché Disney has ever thought of.