The Book Thief | Teen Ink

The Book Thief

November 22, 2014
By verosecious GOLD, Somewhere In Neverland, Other
verosecious GOLD, Somewhere In Neverland, Other
14 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The sky is the limit, for some people aim higher nothing is impossible.”


"While subjected to the horrors of World War II Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. In the basement of her home, a Jewish refugee is being sheltered by her adoptive parents."

 

Have you ever love or loathe the Nazi Era? All those blood-shed wars and poor Jews being killed during Hitler's throne. Do you recall movies such as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Pianist? Heart wrenching right? You might think again about the Nazi Period.

 

The Book Thief, based on the international bestselling novel by Markus Zusak. Narrated by death, who plays a significant role both in the film and book, holds his attention for this obscure girl during the Holocaust times.

 

I literally had no expectations running through me when I’ve decided to give this movie a try. Judging by the movie title, I thought I’d be seeing a girl just stealing books since it’s prohibited during Hitler’s time. But man, how wrong can I be? Everything I’ve watched, pierce through my soul especially the main character, Liesel Meminger. I admired her bravery and great curiosity. She has been through many rough times at a young age. And she has lost people who made her brave enough.

 

Her relationship with her new family wass strange at first. She was unfamiliar with everything around her. But her 'papa' and Liesel had this instant connection when he called her your majesty. And that began their magical bonding. And her 'mama', depicts a typical non-related mother who is ill-tempered but eventually had a kind-heart.

 

Then there’s Rudy, the golden haired boy. Liesel’s love interest. He is quite a charm in this movie. I just love this boy, okay? No questions. He knows Liesel well and the need of a true friend. And another Liesel’s true friend is Max, who is a Jew and shelters in their basement. His influence with her probably changed Liesel’s whole personality. He helped her grow into something. Something incredible.

 

I did cry at the ending. It feels like I got attached to the movie and the characters. It was truly heartbreaking. "No!" "Why?!" "Poor Liesel" were some of the words I’ve been yelling while watching it end. But of course, it had to be a happy ending and it was too much to take in. It left an incredible and memorable impact to me, hence, the without a massive portrait of violence.

 

After watching this life-changing movie (yes, life-changing) I decided to buy the book and still haven't got the chance to finish it. But as I flip pages to pages, it is a worth the read book.


The author's comments:

Did you love The Book Thief as much as I did? Have you read the novel? Have you watched the film?