Born On The Fourth Of July | Teen Ink

Born On The Fourth Of July MAG

The following film is R-rated. Those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

"Born On The Fourth Of July" is an extremely realistic portrayal of one American's changing beliefs and faith (in his country). Tom Cruise plays Ron Kovic, an excited young American ready to serve his country. After experiencing the war firsthand, Ron's views and feelings regarding the war change drastically.

This movie covers several of the grueling horrors of the war, often so realistically that the movie is at times difficult to watch. Many details are covered ranging from interacting with friends and family who do not always agree with Ron to how different people handle and ignore the disrupting realities of war itself.

Willem Defoe gives an outstanding performance as a fellow veteran who has gone through fits of madness and rage because of the deep emotional, as well as physical, scars he has suffered. There is not one part in this film that cannot be admired; many parts were played to perfection.

This movie was magnificently executed. It is not, however, a movie for everyone. People who go to the movies to escape may not like the reality of this particular movie; yet, I would strongly recommend it.

mplo said...
on Jul. 17 2016 at 10:24 am
"Born on the Fourth of July" is a wonderful movie. It's very heartwarming and heart-rending, at the same time, plus it shows the consequences of useless war, as well. I also read the book on which the film "Born on the Fourth of July" was based, and it was every bit as good as the movie, if not better.