Suburbia | Teen Ink

Suburbia MAG

By Anonymous

   Imagine, if you will, a two-hour movie about five twenty-year-olds hanging out in a parking lot for one night. Welcome to "subUrbia" set in the dead-end town of Burnfield, America, the good old "land of the free." The main point of "Suburbia" is that the kids are far from free; they are constricted, depressed and jaded.

"Suburbia" tells the story of kids who have been disillusioned by life. Its focus is the suburbs; the disadvantages of the city and the country that unfortunately collide in this mess of a film.

The tale is told through the eyes of Jeff, who is on the verge of dropping out of college, working at a pizza place and trying to hang onto his girlfriend, Sooze, who wants to move to New York. The friends Jeff hangs out with are Tim, an Air Force dropout, Buff, a friend from high school, and Bee-Bee, his girlfriend's best friend, a recovering alcoholic. They spend the first half of the movie waiting for Pony, a friend from high school who has become a rock star, and the other half disappointed because he is facing the same problems that they are.

The movie is directed by Richard Linklater, who wrote and directed the movie "Dazed and Confused." The characters in this film lack the originality and reality of the "Dazed and Confused." While "Dazed and Confused" never had an actual plot, the movie was constructed to hold your interest. Whatever plot "subUrbia" has is weak. The freedom that came in "Dazed and Confused" is artificial and forced in this movie. So, unless you have time and money to throw away, seeing this film is not suggested.

This movie is rated R. All those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.