Detroit Rock City | Teen Ink

Detroit Rock City

February 7, 2014
By CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky
CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky
24 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
" When you Grow Up, Your Heart Dies."- Ally Sheedy ( The Breakfast Club, 1985)

“And in the end, we were all just humans.. drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.”

"Groovy Like a Drive In movie"


I think I speak for everyone when I say we all dream about going to that once in a lifetime concert. The concert of our dreams. The concert we would do anything to see.

Well in the coming of age film "Detroit Rock City" four teenagers from Ohio get that once in a lifetime chance to see their Idols, KISS in concert. Oh did I mention this move takes place in 1978? So it gives off that vintage Rock&Roll vibe we all love.

Now,we all now how these kind of movies go right? The boys lose their tickets, and by lose I mean the tickets are burned with a lighter. by one of their mothers. Now they have no tickets and their dream of seeing KISS is in jeopardy. But again we all know how these movies go, The boys end up getting new tickets and get to see the concert of their lives.

" Detroit Rock City" is the kind of film that sticks with you. (Especially if you are a fan of 70's hard rock.)
To me, the film teaches two very important lesson, 1. If you have a dream, You better do whatever you can in order for it to come true. And 2.It doesn't matter how old you are, where you come from or who your parents are, you do what ever makes you happy, you follow your own arrow. Kinda heartwarming isn't it?

Now it's time for me to tell you what makes this movie great. Other than its killer soundtrack ( Which has songs by Kiss, Black Sabbath. Van Halen and Many other bands and artist ) & lovely heartwarming lessons.
The characters are perfect. When you watch the movie. I swear you will feel like you are right with them in their car, or at the concert. And that is what I think makes the film so appealing to the teenage audience.

Like many teens today they have a love for music. That is what Teens relate to. So I know they will love this movie. I know they will relate to the characters, and to their home lives.

This film is the total package. It has all the qualities of a great movie. Good music, friendship, good times, and a couple of fight scenes.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, I strongly suggest you get on Netflix and watch it. It's the kinda of movie that appeals to all audience members. so no matter what age, or music taste. I guarantee you will be impressed.