My Buzz Kill | Teen Ink

My Buzz Kill

Have you ever wondered how comedies could get any worse, well I’m here to say that the Bee Movie is this disaster. It's not worth seeing, but if all the hype has you expecting a classic, you should lower your expectations. Bee Movie is certainly not low-budget, but it has all the staying power and creative value of a B-movie. The secret life of bees, as told by Seinfeld, is a bore with a capital B. Unless your idea of wit is an unrelenting stream of groan-inducing insect puns, "Bee Movie" offers little more than buzz kill.
When the bee, Barry B. Benson, graduates from college; he finds that will have only one job for his entire life; and absolutely disappointed; he joins the team responsible for bringing the honey and pollination of the flowers to visit the world outside the hive. Once in Manhattan, he is saved by the florist Vanessa and he breaks the bee law to thank Vanessa. The become friends and Barry discovers that humans explore bees to sell the honey they produce. Barry decides to sue the human race, with destructive consequences to nature. Does good necessarily follow good intentions? Barry B. Benson, a bee who's just finished his education and hates the idea of picking a life-long vocation, meets a human, florist Vanessa Bloom, while buzzing about Manhattan. She takes him to a supermarket where Barry discovers shelves and shelves of honey. Realizing it has been taken from bees - who work tirelessly and exhaust themselves for their two cups a year - he follows the delivery truck back to the honey farm, gathers evidence, and files law suit against humanity. But what if Barry wins and the honey is returned to the bees, who can then slack off?

“The Bee Movie” has to be the worse animated movie of the year, no joke. My little sister, who is six, thought this was too childish for her. Now that’s saying something. It's impersonal. It doesn't come from anywhere interesting. Will small children even care about what bees do? All they care about is not getting stung. Nobody cares if a bee can sue the humans for processing honey. I could only think about one during this movie, “I paid for this? They tried way too hard to make this a comedy.” A snazzy-looking mixed bag. Kids will be diverted, adults will tolerate it, and all involved will be expecting something more imaginative than what Jerry Seinfeld has whittled together. Seinfeld has completely dumbed-down his normal clever wit in order to appeal to younger kids; they're probably the only ones who might enjoy this. I’ve heard of a spelling bee. I’ve heard of a busy bee. I’ve heard of a killer bee. But a Seinfeld bee? Sorry Jerry, your hapless honey-seeking hero doesn't create much of an animated buzz. If only every bee were named 'Chris Rock' the movie would have the stinging humor it sorely lacks.
The movie was written by Jerry Seinfeld, which raised my expectations and completely let them down. The slogan for the movie is “honey just got funny” which is hilarious too me. “It's as opposite as anything I have known or could conceive of,'' Seinfeld has said. All the jokes in the movie are bee puns. There terrible puns too. I wanted to gag on these puns. I couldn’t believe it. Please don’t was time and money on a film, its no worth it. If you’ve seen the movie you know what I’m talking about. You have been warned.