Howl’s Moving Castle | Teen Ink

Howl’s Moving Castle MAG

By Anemone BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Anemone BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

“Howl's Moving Castle” was the winner of the Tokyo International Anime Fair Animation of the Year in 2005. It is also a compelling movie about a cursed girl turning to the infamous wizard Howl (who has his own problems) for help amidst a raging war between two kingdoms. From the start, viewers are stunned by the beautiful scenery of late nineteenth-century Europe. You can really feel the lively atmosphere director Hayao Miyazaki tries to convey. In addition, the soundtrack beautifully captures the movie's imagery and themes in a style reminiscent of that era of European music.

Like Miyazaki's previous films (“Princess Mononoke” and “Spirited Away”), “Howl's Moving Castle” is a mix of romance and suspense. All his movies have unique characters and don't stray far from the main story, with history and background that are enriching, all based on a specific tradition. What sets “Howl's Moving Castle” apart, however, is its character development.

Sophie (with the voice of Chieko Baishô in Japanese and Emily Mortimer in English) has the misfortune of inheriting the family hat shop, and is soon cursed by the Wicked Witch of the Waste. She is a timid girl who is very self-conscious and basically antisocial. After being transformed into an old woman, her personality sparks the audience with her humorous age-related jokes and crackly laugh.

However, Sophie isn't the only character who is memorable and loveable. Wizard Howl (Takuya Kimura in Japanese and Christian Bale in English) is a handsome playboy who is immature and cowardly. In one scene, he runs out of the bathroom half naked and starts oozing green goop because his hair is dyed orange!

The movie is a pure joy to watch, but it does have its flaws. There are parts where viewers may become confused and need to backtrack. Moments where Sophie appears young while being under the curse may confuse first-time viewers. Her appearance matches her mood. For example, she appears the youngest when she is happiest. The motive for the war is also unclear, but if you listen carefully to the conversation between two men at the start of the movie, you'll understand better.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The characters are funny and quirky, but the plot intrigued me the most; a moving castle with four doors to four different places – what other word can possibly describe that except for original?

on Aug. 16 2011 at 5:08 pm
4everyoung15 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California

"When life knocks you down on your knees, just remember you are in the perfect position for praying"- Unknown

I <3 Calcifer!!!! <-- spelled the name wrong i noe (- -;)

on Aug. 16 2011 at 5:07 pm

This is seriously one of the movies i can watch 100 times a day and not get bored of it!!! the review is clear, organized, and very well thought! 

I have to say though, I thought Sophie changed younger whenever she had a different feeling for Howl,

when she is casual with Howl, she is old, but when she was pretending to be Howl's mother, she deffended Howl thus slowly changing young again. Then when people would tell her she was in love with Howl she would turn back old because she can't confess it out loud. then, also in the scene where she and Howl are in the flower field she turns young again slowly because she feels love for him, but when she calls herself old she turns back.

srry if it makes no sense, im bad at explaining! but personally im very much like Sophie so thats why i lyk this movie!!

thats all i have to say very good!

on Apr. 29 2011 at 4:10 pm
writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You have to learn to love yourself before you learn to love others."

Well, I think you know who I am... I sit at your lunch table and talk about "sesagging"...

on Apr. 29 2011 at 4:09 pm
writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Michelle, you are published in this month's magazine!

browneyedcat said...
on Apr. 21 2011 at 1:34 pm
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
I love this  movie. :D great review!!!

on Apr. 19 2011 at 11:23 pm
Great review! :) And I am in love with this movie. (And pretty much all other Miyazaki movies. TOTORO!! :D)