Paris, je t'aime | Teen Ink

Paris, je t'aime

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paris, Je t'aime (or "Paris, I Love You") is interesting because, instead of being one film by one director, the film actually consists of eighteen different short films with each directed by a prominent name within the film community. This may make the film sound incredibly long, but in reality each film is roughly around five minutes long. This starting and stopping of stories isn't just creative, but very fascinating as well thanks to the various different styles and types of storytelling. With the exception of one or two shorts, all of the films in Paris, Je t'aime are charming, amazingly executed, and great examples of filmmaking.

As I said before, the film is comprised of shorts, so plot doesn't really have a bearing on the collection of short films. However, the films are connected thematically as each one focuses on romance in the great 'city of love'. With shorts from the likes of Gus Van Sant, the Coen brothers, Alfonso Cuaron, and Alexander Payne, the film's abundant with talent, style, and heart as each short film plays out. Though each isn't directly connected, we do get to see a quick montage of the films' characters once all of the stories have played out.

Visually, literally every one of these shorts looked beautiful. The cinematography and style to each director is unique and lovely to look at, so you'll have plenty of eye candy to look forward to in Paris, Je t'aime. Want a simple stylish love story? The film's got that. Want a dark, German-Expressionist-like horror romance? The film's got that. Want a short that was filmed entirely in one take and without any cuts or edits? ...Well, you get the picture.

The films' stories are all creative and fascinating as well. From the standard - like a young man falling in love with a young woman - to the more creative - a man consulting the ghost of Oscar Wilde for relationship advice - the film promises many interesting stories with many lovable people. You don't have to worry about any of the films dragging either, thanks to the short running-time of the films. In fact, part of what makes the films so lovable is because they're so short. They don't need to be long or deep, as each only serves to touch on an aspect of love while exploring the city of Paris.

If I have a significant fault against the film, it's that two of the shorts are simply "fair" and can't match the par of the other short films. These two are cluttered, confused with their narrative, and cover ground that's already been covered by much higher-quality shorts. It's not too bad of a complaint, as these two shorts only take up ten minutes of an hour-and-a-half film.

Paris, Je t'aime is simply a beautiful film. The visuals are fantastic, the storytelling's top-notch, and the differing styles and tastes can be appreciated on an emotional and technical level. The film's a celebration of filmmaking, love, and a very grand city.