Obessed | Teen Ink

Obessed MAG

June 2, 2009
By Cana Noel BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Cana Noel BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Director Steve Shill's latest film, “Obsessed,” contains a few scenes that are worth ­sitting through an hour and a half for, however the suspense turns predictable by the end.

Beyoncé Knowles, acclaimed singer and performer, should reconsider adding “actress” to her résumé after the unrealistic performance she delivers here. Sharon (Knowles) is tired of being a stay-at-home mom. Her successful husband, Derek (Idris Elba), an asset manager, does not encourage her interest in finding a job.

Despite this, all seems ­perfect with the young couple until a temp office worker, Lisa (Ali Larter), begins working with Derek. The two share an immediate attraction, which spirals into a concocted love ­affair by Lisa. She pursues him, and her romantic delusions begin to take a toll on him. His dream career, marriage, and life are all in jeopardy as the sly Lisa becomes desperate to be with him, regardless of the cost.

While the plot tries to be suspenseful, the mediocre acting and predictable scenes take away from its success. Knowles attempts to capture the essence of a distressed wife trying to save her marriage and protect ­her family, but her dialogue is unrealistic and doesn't contain the emotion necessary for a film like this. The scenes of panic and frenzy are perfectly executed by Elba, while the other characters fail to display convincing emotions.

Almost every move that Lisa (who eventually becomes a ­deranged stalker) has up her sleeve can be easily predicted. The trite plot turns even more clichéd as the movie begins to resemble a teenage horror film.

The major flaw is that it's unclear what exactly the director is trying to convey. A movie should have a message or evoke a feeling in the audience by the end. “Obsessed” fails to unveil an underlying theme and instead delivers a fast-paced, melodramatic remake of the classic 1987 film “Fatal Attraction.”