Last Christmas | Teen Ink

Last Christmas

By jml02 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
jml02 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Last Christmas… I gave you my heart. In this rom-com, Kate, (Emilia Clarke known from Game of Thrones) is a retail worker dressed as an elf who gave her heart to a man she barely knew. Kate has been stuck ever since last year when she learned about her health. Her family lives near her, but she avoids contact with them. As she is going through her work day, always on her phone, she looks through the window to see Tom. Tom (Henry Golding) appears as his character, who is always saying “look up”. It started when Kate was intrigued by him because he was looking up at the sky, so Kate came out of work to see what he was looking at. As she stands next to him, looking up, she notices a bird, seconds after she is pooped on. Their first interaction doesn’t go so well as Kate tells him he’s not her type and was just pooped on by a bird but Tom is consistent with trying. He starts showing her around the city, with places that she has never seen. 

She soon finds herself falling for this mysterious man who rides his bike and takes care of the homeless. As Kate starts to fall for Tom, she realizes that her life has become a mess. As their relationship starts to grow, so does Kate. She is moved outside of her comfort zone as she explores the city with Tom. Kate realizes she needs to start changing her life, starting with making amends to her friends and family. She starts with all of the friends that she has lived with then moves to her sister who has a harder time forgiving Kate. Her sister, Lydia Leonard, has been disappointed by Kate and her life choices. When Kate shows up at her front door step the first time she wasn’t ready to let her back into her life but once they meet again she sees how Kate has changed her life for the better. Once Kate turns her life around she wants to share her experience with Tom, the guy who showed her how. However, it isn’t easy to get in contact with a guy who keeps his phone in a cabinet and rides his bike everywhere. 

In this movie I enjoyed the unusual love story of Kate and Tom. They had a good way of showing a different perspective of love. For example, they confide in each other and they included Kate growing as a person with Tom’s help. 

I would also recommend this movie because of the acting, as my friend and I were invested as tears rolled down our face, not wanting to go back to the reality where they were just playing a character. Along with the acting I enjoyed the cast as one of my favorite actors Henry Golding played the main role of a mysterious, romantic man. 

However, at times in the movie it was a little slow. Like in the beginning with showing Kate at work, I think one scene was enough to explain the situation. I also think at the end they should have shown more of Kate's life and what happened next. They ended it without showing Kates life choices at the end with her love life and family. I think they could have included more about her relationship with her mom. 

Overall, I would recommend this movie. It is a new rom-com that isn’t predictable, with actors that you will love. In this movie Kate learns valuable lessons from a pure soul and tries to show this to others. As Kate learns in the movie, “helping each other is what makes us happy.”