Avatar | Teen Ink

Avatar

Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) a genetic match for his dead identical twin, the researcher. He becomes the replacement to go into his brothers avatar. Asleep for six years, the time needed to shuttle him, ex-Marine mercenaries, and a crew of scientists from a dying, resource depleted Earth to Pandora rich with an ore known as unobtanium. This is Avatar. Another extraordinary movie produced by James Cameron. A rich, soulful, and exciting movie taking place in a whole new world created with such detail it almost takes your breath away. A blend containing a storyline like Dances with Wolves, mixed in with awe-inspiring visual effects of Lord of the Rings, and the love story of Wuthering Heights. 

Set in 2154, U.S. Armed Forces are sent to Pandora, a forest covered planet rich with unobtanium, an ore rich with energy that Earth desperately needs. Jake Sully a paraplegic ex-Marine who is still a warrior at heart is sent to Pandora to be apart of the Avatar Program led by Dr. Grace Augustine (Sigourney Weaver) where they take control of avatars that look like the Na’vi. Pandora is inhabited by the Na’vi: blue skinned, golden eyed, slender giants. On his first outing as his avatar, he is saved by Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), the strong willed, fierce daughter of the chieftain. Captured by her clan, the Omaticaya, he agrees to learn the way of the Na’vi before the night is over. However, he also gives information of their “Home Tree” to Colonel Quartich (Stephen Lang) a stereotypical antagonist—harsh voice, buzzed haircut, a scar with a backstory, and an authority military figure. Soon after he has to pick between following orders and helping the Na’vi. 

Avatar is an astounding feast for the eye. It is the landmark stereo film of the modern era, taking 3D technology to new heights. It will make you jump back to avoid the neurotoxin-laced arrows, and contains fierce creatures that will leave you captivated in this experience. This new world will leave you speechless, with landscapes such as the Hallelujah Mountains—enormous mountains that seem to defy gravity, floating, range in the sky, waterfalls cascading into nothingness—and creatures like the Woodsprite, graceful, sacred spirits which are a cross between a drifting dandelion seed and a wandering deep sea jellyfish.

Not only are the visuals extraordinary, Avatar has a worthwhile story with universal messages that supports a green and anti-war statement .The filmmaker indicates a scene similar to the World Trade Center’s collapse. As many Na’vi are crushed, impaled and injured when their “home tree” is destroyed with the use of missiles. Then watching as the survivors depart in a line, weeping at the loss of their homes, their loved ones, the life they once had. Images of the Cherokees forced migration to Oklahoma along the Trail of Tears come to mind. 

Avatar is incredible from the way the human technology looks plausible and functional. The spacecrafts are extremely believable and Pandora itself is immensely rich and vibrant. Furthermore, it conveys messages of peace and harmony with the environment. It brings together the perfect mix of technological future with the age-old storytelling techniques. Avatar has revolutionized filmmaking and James Cameron has made an incredible, transportive, visually stunning, emotionally satisfying film. Avatar is a must watch movie in 3D that will captivate your imagination and immerse you in the mystical and enchanting world of Pandora.