Waitress | Teen Ink

Waitress

By Halley Balkovich SILVER, Springfield, Oregon
Halley Balkovich SILVER, Springfield, Oregon

Waitress

Why is it that some of the best and most original movies are seldom advertised? This is a question I was asking myself as I sat in my living room watching Waitress, a film I had not once heard of beyond spotting the DVD cover in my local Blockbuster.

I was intrigued at once by the prospect of a movie about pie. I figured if the entire feature was completely terrible, hey, it would still be about pie, and I would not feel completely ripped off when I finished it.

But as it began, my opinions began to differ, and I realized- this was not just a movie about everyone's favorite desert.

Waitress is the story of Jenna (Keri Russell), a young woman working at a small town diner. She has a gift for making pies, which she names after whatever happens to be on her mind at the time.

Her life is nowhere near perfect, however. She has a cruel, sexist and slovenly husband named Earl (Jeremy Sisto) who controls her life completely. She dreams of winning a pie contest and earning enough money to escape the unhappy marriage.

Jenna's hopes are crushed when she finds out that after a night of drunken debauchery, she is now pregnant with Earl's baby. With nothing else to do, she visits the Gynecologist- Dr. Pomatter (Nathan Fillion) and after a few appointments, the two begin an unlikely love affair.

Waitress is a bittersweet, homey movie that will warm your heart and make your stomach growl. Also, a flick you may never have heard of before, but don't let that stop you- go out and watch it. It'll be worth every minute.