Ant-Man and the Wasp | Teen Ink

Ant-Man and the Wasp MAG

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

“Ant-Man and the Wasp” is the sequel to the original “Ant-Man” movie and continues the adventures of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd). Because Scott fought alongside Captain America in a battle against Iron Man – and disobeyed the law – he was placed under house arrest for two years. This means no more being Ant-Man. However, when he’s approached by his good friends, Hope van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) and Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), Scott must break his house arrest in an attempt to help them find their mother/wife. 

Hank believes that he has found a way for them to reach the Quantum Realm and rescue his beloved. In order to reach her, Hank and his daughter must build a machine using black market materials, which requires them to seek out sketchy sellers. When one of the sellers refuses to sell them their tool unless they go into business together and make big bucks, the Wasp must steal the tool. In doing so, Ant-Man, Hank, and the Wasp make a new enemy – Sonny Burch (Walton Goggins), who wants to steal their portable lab. Meanwhile, a misunderstood person named Ghost wants to also use the technology that Dr. Hank Pym created, because Ghost believes it’s the only way to cure her pain.

While all of this is occurring, Scott Lang must deal with not getting into trouble with the law, helping his friend Luis and his business, helping Hope and Dr. Hank find their mom, and being there for his daughter.

Although the movie has a great plot and continues the success of the Marvel cinematic universe, “Ant-Man and the Wasp” feels like it was targeted for little kids. The movie has a PG, family friendly vibe that doesn’t quite match the grit that took place in “Avengers: Infinity War,” Marvel’s previous movie. The ending of the film is predictable and feels cliché. The movie resembles a fairy tale, in terms of having a happily-ever-after ending. However, Paul Rudd brings his fun, charming self to the movie, and with that comes excellent one-liners, humor, and a light touch that makes the movie enjoyable to watch. Michael Peña is fantastic as Luis and adds a needed punch to the movie to keep it light and flowing.

The fact that the movie received a high 88% rating from Rotten Tomatoes and an even higher 94% rating from Google users should be enough to convince everyone that “Ant-Man and the Wasp” is a great choice to watch, but the movie is more family-friendly than most superhero movies – and that’s not necessarily a good thing.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is a fun, comical movie that's targeted for younger kids. 

Awesome movie review!