On the Road to Find Out by Rachel Toor | Teen Ink

On the Road to Find Out by Rachel Toor

By PhantomofBroadway GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
PhantomofBroadway GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island

I may be small, but I've got giant plans to shine as brightly as the sun. -Astonishing, Little Women the Musical
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. -Macbeth

On the Road to Find Out is a story about a girl named Alice Davis. She has just been rejected from her one and only dream college: Yale. After years of being told she was perfect academically and thinking she was headed to Yale, Alice finds that she is not perfect. To distract herself, she takes up running. The story covers her growth as a daughter, friend, and runner.
Alice is not a typical teenage girl. She enjoys schoolwork, dislikes parties and dances, and loves her pet rat named Walter. She doesn’t get along with her parents, especially her overbearing mother. When the rejection comes in from Yale, the only things keeping her alive are Walter, her best friend Jenny, and running. Running helps Alice learn how to deal with rejection and how to keep going on with life even after “hitting the wall.”
I loved this book and devoured it in one day. Alice is a realistic character whom I related to in many ways. Walther-the-Man, a family friend of Alice’s, provides words of wisdom on difficult situations in Alice’s life that apply to mind as well. The realistic nature of the book and the loveable characters make On the Road to Find Out an enjoyable read for teenagers and adults alike.