Oh, Okonkwo, The Great | Teen Ink

Oh, Okonkwo, The Great

By L_krah08 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
L_krah08 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

Oh, Okonkwo, The Great

He longs for the mother. Who raised him on his way to manhood. Eyes that will grow like his fathers, and the ears that hear mellifluous tones. But that would only be if he drew weak. And he, Okonkwo, is the greatest and most fearless of Umuofia. 

In the book Things Fall Apart, Okonkwo is considered an extraordinary youth. Beating the undefeatable and "fiercest (1)" wrestler Amalinze caused an outbreak in Okonkwo's fame. "Okonkwo was well known throughout the nine villages and even beyond. His fame rested on solid personal achievements. (1)" Achievements that held titles of very noble men. The significance of Okonkwo takes remembrance through the ages. However, Okonkwo's greatness comes to an end.

Oh, Okonkwo, the not very ample. Throughout the 216 pages, it truly stops at 61. He kills his son to show that he is masculine. How could a character so fierce finally find the end of his thread? He promised to be the Greatest. After all, "Okonkwo never showed any emotion openly, unless it is the emotion of anger(28)." To be masculine is to be 'fearless,' But Okonkwo's life was "dominated by fear." Fear of failure and weakness. And his son reminded him of the "failure (1)" who raised him. 

Oh, Okonkwo, the Anxious. 
But throughout these 216 pages, I understand at 216. The pages that take thinned from the use of reads, and the weight of the book that projects onto my left hand. Per page turn, Okonkwo finds himself spiraling into a fate so unfortunate. Until he falls to despair, Okonkwo is scared and fearful. However, he never embarrassed it. And there he was, not knowing what to do when he finally failed. Unfortunately for Okonkwo, he wouldn't survive anything.

Everyone has a point in life where it seems unconquerable, but it is necessary to push through. With greatness, there also comes vulnerability. Throughout Okonkwo's journey, we realize that true greatness isn't a measure of the amount of triumphs. Life comes with many obstacles, but it influences personal growth. Okonkwo's world ended after his peak, but there could have been rising mountains if he continued. Life may seem unconquerable, but the world doesn't end today. Perhaps if Okonkwo the Great endured, he could see himself as Okonkwo the greatest.

The book Things Fall Apart is, in my opinion, a masterpiece. It is an excellent book and can teach a lot about African culture. Things Fall Apart is a book that anyone should read and follow the journey of Okonkwo.