Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand | Teen Ink

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

By ColinFoley BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
ColinFoley BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Louis Zamperini was an olympic runner, but when World War ll starts he has to go fight and give up his dreams. He is forced to fight for his life in a prison camp. He fights many battles while in this camp both physically and mentally. one of the best examples of both in one situation is when he was punched by every prisoner in the camp for stealing. The physical problem was the actual pain of getting punched and the mental part of it was being able to act like it didn't hurt him. He did this to give hope to his people which is very important in a desperate situation. This is the main topic of the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

This book has a lot of themes about strength, for example Louis was strong throughout the whole book whether it was fighting the loss of his home or just fighting against the enemy.  In the end being strong enough to handle losing home and being strong enough to battle through the camp decides how the story ends. The author’s purpose is to give a heroic and inspiring World War l story, but I also think he is trying to  portray that if you just fight you can make it out of anything. I think this because the author could have made this a very different story if they would just let Louis give up and just wait to be saved.  Instead Louis battles and tries to show the workers at the camp that there is hope for them to get out. That's what kept him alive and what created a lot of the conflict in this book.

I thought this book was awesome! It gave me everything I wanted with an exciting war story told by a character fighting to find out his purpose. The characters and how they acted all blended so well to make the main character Louis who he is. I think this book would be really good for anyone who likes war stories that uses pathos to exaggerate the story. It uses pathos very often in the book, Louis often show a lot of emotion of losing his home and just the hardships of war which really go out there and touches you. The book does a really good job of making you feel what Louis feels and I know throughout the book I felt bad for him at many times. that is how involved the pathos makes you in the book.