Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

By NickLu BRONZE, Hangzhou, Other
NickLu BRONZE, Hangzhou, Other

The book “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone” is a fantasy novel written by J.K. Rowling and it was published in 1997. It’s the first book in the series “Harry Potter” as well as Rowling’s maiden work. Themes are obvious throughout the work by depicting adventures of Harry, Ron and Hermione. I think it is the perfect book to learn about friendship.

In this book, the main character Harry Potter was left at his mother’s cousin’s family after his parents died for protecting him from The Dark Lord. However, he was only told that he was a wizard when he’s already eleven. He then had his first year in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and defeated The Dark Lord with his friends’ helps. As the main plot that consists of the majority of the book, life in school with magic truly grasped my eyes. But apart from magic, I think one of the qualities what I have learned is the importance of friendship. When Harry and Ron were scolded because they tried to cope with the Troll rashly, it was Hermione who took the responsibility upon herself, which made a solidary friendship to confront challenges and dangers for themselves. Friendship will lead to altruism, which means thinking for the best for the team rather than individuals here. As a result, Ron sacrificed for the benefit of the whole team when they needed to win the chess game to pass the gate; Hermione sacrificed when there was a hard choice of who to leave; Harry sacrificed when he had to protect the Sorcerer's Stone with his life.

What will popped out first when someone mentions about “Magic”? Probably most of people would think of Harry Potter. But why? There must be something special that makes Harry Potter distinct from other fantasy novels. I believe it could be ascribed to extraordinary character depictions. One of the best examples should be Hagrid. The way he walks, the way he talks, even the details that what he mumbles were all included in the book. This is a quotation from the book: “‘Sorry?’ barked Hagrid, turning to stare at the Dursleys, who shrank back into the shadows. ‘It’s them as should be sorry! I know yeh weren’t getting’ ter letters but I never thought they wouldn’t even know abou’ Hogwarts, fer cryin’ out loud! Did yeh never wonder where yer parents learned it all? ” That’s exactly the style he talk. It seems a giant suddenly appears before my eyes.

Even if this is a fantasy novel, many would rather believe that magic world is truly exist, and there is truly a bunch of people who are wearing cloaks, waving wands. It’s not the magic from Harry Potter, it’s the magic of words.