The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

By mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Maybe greatness isn't about being immortal, or glorious, or popular- it's about choosing to fight for the greater good of the world, even when the world's turned its back on you."
-Alex Bailey
"The Land of Stories"

When I was handed this book in my classroom to read, I looked at it and sighed. It was another book that I had no interest in picking up.

But I had to read it.

From the minute you pick it up and read the first page, you immediately find yourself being sucked into the world of Liesel Meminger in World War Two Germany. 

This book brought so many different genres into play- historical fiction, family, friendship, action and adventure, even a little bit of romance.

I ended up being one of the first people in my class to finish it because it was so intense and beautiful and surreal.

If you're looking for a good read that gives you feels and adventure, this epic story about a girl who learns to write the stories of so many people's lives, is for you.

I fell in love with this book before I could even process why. One of the best works in realistic and historical fiction, in my opinion, is The Book Thief.