Wild's End by Dan Abnett | Teen Ink

Wild's End by Dan Abnett

By thewritebrother GOLD, Powell, Ohio
thewritebrother GOLD, Powell, Ohio

Wild’s End is a story that is made up of two comic book mini-series (however, the actual
story has yet to be fully finished up as so BOOM! may let/make the creators produce a third instalment) written by writer Dan Abnett and is loosely inspired by the book, The War of The Worlds by H. G. Wells. The story is about a group of story book-styled humanoid animals trying to survive an invasion of alien lamp post. This may make the comic sound like a silly little light hearted title for younger kids, but the book actually takes uses the concept to tell a dark, gripping tale about surviving an attack led by machines with overkill flamethrowers (with the addition of decent art that walks the lines between classic storybook illustration and normal modern day comic book art). The main characters are also quite good too, for example, the protagonist: Clive Slippaway, was a great character for both the book and its main cast, his vague past and memorable lines like “national security is just an excuse to be nasty to people.” from the second book are extremely, well, quotable (not to mention that my chosen example is surprisingly relevant to both events in history as well as the debate on immigration that’s going on right now, which is kinda unexpected coming from a story that is pretty heavy on themes of survival during an invasion of lampost aliens whose definition of interplanetary politics seems to be shooting people with flamethrowers… or is it!? [spoiler-ish alert, skip the rest of this parenthesized section if your extreme about this sort of stuff] The story has left some details about the aliens open ended, however it seems a bit lame for them to use a “GUESS WHAT! NOBODY DIED AFTER ALL!” twist seeing as the fact that characters, especially fairly major ones, die in the series is a crucial part of the story and it’s mood). The not-as-naturally-prepared-for-the-invasion characters are also very good too, each with their own distinct personality. So if you’re looking for a good yet mysterious adventure to keep you occupied, look no further. However you might want to keep your eyes peeled for the sequel and possible third book since it’ll be a officially different mini-series, it may be a little hard to look up on the internet (trust me, I’ve tried, but the series is good enough that if it will return, some comic book-based news outlet will talk about it). But the point is that the book’s really good and I’d highly recommend it to anyone who (spoiler-ish alert) won’t get too attached to the supporting cast, even though it’s a very good supporting cast if not count as a entire group of multiple protagonists in the first place.

on May. 26 2017 at 8:58 pm
thewritebrother GOLD, Powell, Ohio
they got the cover picture horribly wrong, this makes me unhappy. i mean, i get that copyright is a thing but the idea of the teenink people using a picture of a different cover just makes me uncomfortable, whether it has to do with the confusion it may cause or not. p.s, do the teenink people read these? because that would be greatly appreciated. of course, i could always just turn this situation into a article for teenink.