The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

By magic_mafia BRONZE, Sacramento, California
magic_mafia BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing.” This is flowing quote that carries this story. Being the poor Spokane Indian that he is, Arnold wants to escape the lifestyle that everybody else expects him to live. He sets on a journey to leave his reservation’s school and go to a “white” school where the majority go on to succeed in life. Success for Arnold is everything to him and and the first step to success starts with Reardan High School.

Arnold “Junior” Spirit is a Native American, 14 year old teen, who, along with being born with many birth defects, continues to seek ways out of his poor and unsuccessful life, and into a successful life. Living life on an Indian reservation for Arnold is very difficult, especially being a cartoonist who loves books and whose body is very unproportional. This only makes it much more harder, but when you have a bestfriend like Rowdy, it's enough to make it tolerable. Now he’s faced with having to leave behind the only supportive person in his life to go to a school where he seeks success.

After reading The Incredibly True Diary of a Part Time Indian, I was convinced that it should be a required book for high school students. Most high school students dream of becoming successful and escaping the temptations to live the life that everyone around them expects them to live. This book defines that perfectly because it is based on Arnold’s hopes for success and his thirst for becoming someone in life.

I definitely do recommend The Incredibly True Diary of a Part Time Indian to any reader of any age. Its theme of hopes and dreams is enough for anyone to relate to Arnold in one way or another. This is one timeless read that will be loved by everyone that reads it.

This book inspired me to get out there, follow my dreams, and prove my doubters wrong.