Mother Warriors | Teen Ink

Mother Warriors

Today is the day that the world will change, that knowledge will finally be bestowed upon us and we as a nation can eliminate autism. Jenny McCarthy in her novel 'Mother Warrior' uses other family's scenarios along with her own findings to explain to the nation that autism is being ignored and there are ways to fight it. In her explanations she uses strong emotional appeals to lure her audience, but confusing flow to present the facts.

Jenny McCarty has opened our eyes to a whole new world of hope. Jenny McCarthy allowed every tongue-tied family to finally release their story in the hope that each story will together support the major topics Jenny stands for. She begs on her hands and knees for pediatricians to put a little more effort in their studies of autism. These doctors seem to know little to nothing about autism and yet it affects 1 out of every 166 children in their office. It's ironic that a person, who lives their life to save children, doesn't quite understand what is stealing so many of their lives. Vaccinations have been directly linked to causing autism, but why are parents not informed? Why are parents of children with autism not taught about experimental nutritional help? Some families might want to try everything in the book to save their child, and it should be in their right to be informed by their pediatrics facility. It is not fair to these women to be held back from their findings, and it isn't fair for them to be held back from knowledge of success. Jenny explains all of this with such intense emotion that it places the reader standing helplessly in her position, simply empowered by the look in her child's eyes and the cries of other lost mothers.

In order to explain her life, Jenny McCarthy uses a very obscure format. The first section of the book puts together several media interviews along with helpful facts, but the pace of the book is not coordinated with the strength of the findings. In order to properly place experimental studies and their links to real-life families, she should have coordinated one fact after another. Jenny's life story happened in spurs and her accumulation of facts was sporadic, but the book should not be. For me, it would be much easier to understand the concepts better if she was better organized. I would prefer reading what doctors believe causes autism strictly contrasted with her findings. Why is it that some people believe that children are born with autism, what is its genetic link? Her lack of organization and contrasting points has left readers confused. After reading her spurs of information I being to question why some doctors feel it is incorrect, or why it has not been fully evaluated? How is it possible to transform a child with a genetic issue only with nutrition? For me to believe in what she feels is correct, I need to be represented with biological facts instead of miracles. I want to hear why these remedies can work; otherwise, after finishing McCarthy's novel I feel like I am just where I started.

In my opinion, Jenny McCarthy's book has great potential, but her writing style is not efficient enough for the topic that it is covering. I would feel persuaded by her opinions if they were put together better; although, I enjoyed the book's emotional appeal and imagery. I truly believe that with adjustments and organization McCarthy's 'Mother Warriors' would be studied among millions of doctors and families around the world.