Scarlett by Barbara Baraldi | Teen Ink

Scarlett by Barbara Baraldi

By AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Love has the eyes of ice. Death has the eyes of fire.

Scarlett, sixteen years old, moves from Cremona to Sienna. She has to leave behind summer, her best friend and Mateo. Actually, what happened with Mateo that day at the physics lab? Oh, never mind… He’s gone now!

First day at the new school. She feels terribly alone. The only persons she met were those crank Lavinians! (Lavinians = minions of Lavinia, the most snob, cocky, snooty etc. girl of Saint Carlos High School). She is at class Z, Z like in Zorro, the hero with the mask. And her? A scared heroine with no mask and no glory, sitting in a desk, surrounded by unknown faces…

She will later meet Umberto, -such a nice guy. But is he too nice?- who will introduce her to Katharine with the deer-like eyes, who is deeply in love with him, and Genziana, the sensible girl with the orange crimpy hair. They become really close friends and she gets over her loneliness.

She also meets Livio, the guy with the macabre T-shirts who sits by himself and avoids to talk to the others and Edoardo. Edoardo is the librarian with the salmon bow-tie who expresses himself with quotes from Goethe. He’s the only person who understands her…

In no time, Scarlett is found in a situation in which she must choose between love and friendship. The answer comes the day of the school concert. There she meets Michael, the boy with the eyes of ice that seek her in the crowd. So beautiful and so mysterious… She cannot resist in these eyes!

Then, a violent attack from a shadow with fired eyes. And the attacks become two and Scarlett and a beloved person of hers find themselves in great danger. And after that, an inexplicable murder, and love is intertwined with death and fear! Who is really Michael? Her guardian angel or a demon that torments her?

I loved this book. I just wanted to keep reading, no matter what time it was, whether I needed to eat, to sleep… I got into the pages and felt the gaze of Michael’s iced eyes and the pungent stench of the blood eyed shadow!

I strongly recommend this book to everyone, especially if you are a gothic romantic stories admirer. It will enchant you…

The dawn hugs us like a flaming caress. I have never seen the sun rise along with someone. I would like him to gently touch my lips with a kiss. Then I wouldn't be afraid of anything. I could even die...

unknown said...
Excellent job!! :) Really nice review! I'm definitely going to read the book!! :) Congratulations!