Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

May 31, 2012
By sumsneakyasian BRONZE, Lincoln, California
sumsneakyasian BRONZE, Lincoln, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins








Catching Fire is the second book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. After reading the first, I could not wait for the next. I have to admit though, after reading the first book, I was a little worried to read the next. Collins had set such a high standard with the first book, and I was anxious to see whether or not she would meet it with the next. I was right. She didn’t meet it. Instead, she went above and beyond that standard, setting it higher for the third book. Collins manages to capture love, violence, passion, sacrifice, and adventure in a story with so much originality.

Catching Fire starts off with Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark facing the repercussions of their actions in the first book. Little did they know that holding out a handful of poisonous berries could save their life while also endangering them. The people of Panem were inspired by Katniss and Peeta’s defiance of the Capitol. Revolts start in District 3 and District 8 with the mockingjay as their symbol of rebellion. As many more revolts occur, the Capitol scrounges around for something else to regain complete control of Panem. The story has nail-biting excitement from beginning to end.

This book shows that true love can overcome anything. That we should protect the ones that we love at any and all cost. Catching Fire is the perfect example of the sacrifice we all make. This great book will have you anticipating the next.