Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale | Teen Ink

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale

March 1, 2012
By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
132 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel


I have eagerly snatched up every single one of Shannon Hale's novels as they came out and enjoyed them all, but I think this one gave me the most laughs. The light, frivolous conversation no matter what the circumstances made me smile. The myriad of quirky and human characters were wonderful. I loved Charlotte and how she regains her confidence after the blow of her husband's infidelity. The other characters range from the sweet and silly Miss Charming to the mysterious and sophisticated Miss Gardensdale, the friendly and cheerful Edmund Grey to the darkly brooding Mr. Mallery.

The idea of Austenland is just pure fun. It is a place where reality is not allowed to intrude; where men are courteous and ladies are elevated on pedestals. Throw in a cozy mystery and a faux murder to keep everyone entertained...until Charlotte begins to suspect that a real murder has been committed. The story takes a turn from Austen into Bronte...unless Charlotte is turning into Catherine Morland, investigating imaginary murders.

The romance is delightful, the dialogue witty and the mystery utterly engrossing. I would recommend this book to lovers of Austen, Bronte and romantic comedy. It is not one to be missed.