Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer MAG

November 8, 2011
By CHSsoftball5 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
CHSsoftball5 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dead. That is how they found Chris McCandless – just another crazy drifter who thought he could survive in the wild without the necessary experience or knowledge. However, Into the Wild presents a deeper and clearer picture of this misunderstood man who died alone in the Alaskan wilderness at the age of 24.

Chris McCandless was not your average drifter; he came from a good home, graduated from college with excellent grades, and had planned to attend law school, but something in Chris made him steer his life in an unorthodox direction that some consider but few actually try. In 1990, he donated his college savings, packed his belongings, and set off to see America. Two years later, he burned his remaining money and headed into the Alaskan wilderness with a gun, a diary, a knife, and a 50-pound bag of rice, never to be seen alive again. His body was found in an abandoned school bus. When he died he weighed a shocking 67 pounds.

As his story circulated, people began to wonder who Chris was. An outdoor writer and adventurer himself, Jon Krakauer traces the solitary journey of McCandless from the Gulf of California all the way to Alaska, comparing his story to other courageous adventurers'.

Through the journey, Krakauer reveals a much deeper look at McCandless, unveiling a life led by few. As you read, you may find yourself connecting to a man who seems nothing like you and wishing things could have turned out differently for him.

One flaw of this book is that after Krakauer tells his story, he rambles on comparing McCandless to other adventurers, even himself; it's pretty dull and adds nothing to the story. This diminishes some of the awe you initially feel at Chris's effect on people. Up until that point, however, Into The Wild is a book that you won't be able to put down.


The author's comments:
I had to write this piece for English class.