The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

C"> said...
today at 6:23 am
Like many of the people who commented, I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. It was an extremely suspenseful story and one of my favorites.

JillybeanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 30 at 8:30 am
Like many of the comments have said below, you have a right to your own opinion, and I respect your opinion. However, I think that you could have better explained why you didn't like the book. Providing more specific examples would be very useful in allowing us to see things from your point of view. Again, no disrespect to you nor your review. Just some suggestions for future book reviews. :)

CoolPoet737 said...
Nov. 27 at 5:27 pm
No disrespect to you or to the review, but come on! The book was certainly better than THAT. Good grief. If anything, the (weak) film adaptation was more predictable than the book. Plus, if it really was as bad as you said, why did it win 1994's John Newbery Medal?

LyziWritesStuff said...
Nov. 22 at 11:34 am
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. This book takes time to understand, and it's an acquired taste. I personally enjoyed it.

jessiiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 16 at 7:01 pm

LaurenKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 2 at 8:23 pm
I respect your opinion, but I think you didn't really think about the inside meaning of the book as a whole. The book is showing how we all need to find our futures for ourselves, and that we also need to have feelings and experience things. I personally think that it is a book everyone should read. I encourage you to read it again and just try to think of the whole theme of the book. On the other hand, your review was really good and you did a good job.

willowblaire replied...
Feb. 14 at 1:19 pm
I'm reading the book in my reading class, and I really like it!

Attica said...
Nov. 21, 2016 at 9:48 am
Although I respect your opinion, I think that you have misinterpreted the main point of this story. When you look at the ethics of the story and what the author is trying to do, you will get why she made it boring, to show how boring a world without differences would be. It is a very philosophical book and not recommended if you like romantic, action-packs, sparkly-vampire books. I believe that you could have improved this review by actually explaining why it didn't make sense and analyzing what... (more »)

Nora7 replied...
Jul. 18 at 2:47 pm
Thank you! So many people discredit books only because they do not like what they are about. When really that has very little to do with if a book is great or not.

JohnnyAppleseed said...
If you hate it, please explain why it didn't make sense or how it was predictable. You seem to contradict yourself, saying it didn't make sense, then saying it was no better than what the average person could conceive.

Ryan toder said...
@M501athletic your right the book was really good I think it had perfect suspense

Divergent Massive said...
Jun. 16, 2016 at 1:05 am
I think the book was simple so we could see woulnt have to navigate beneath the words to the message being given which in itself was simple -

M501athleticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 27, 2016 at 11:50 am
I respect your opinion on this book, but honestly I loved it. I like the suspense and change of pace in the book. It was very fascinating and had a great plot. But thanks for your review, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Mysterious1 replied...
Your right by the way this book had a twist at the end where he's sitting on the mountain with the baby

leones0814 replied...
I absolutely agree-this book is great and I think Lois Lowry is a fantastic author. @Bapalapa2, maybe if you read the other books that were in the series, you might find it more interesting. Each book plays a small but significant part in the bigger picture and everything fits together like the pieces of a puzzle.

Me,Myself, And I said...
this was a terrible book.

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Though I can see your opinion, and I disagree, I must point out that The Giver did bring up a few ideas about how the brain would change if everyone- and everything- were equal.

secretsdarkened said...
It's so interesting to find someone who doesn't like this book! I loved The Giver, and everyone in my English class did, too. I love the ending especially-it leaves the outcome up to you.

BrigidThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 7, 2016 at 7:56 am
I totally agree with you!! this book is great. Anyway, I thought you might want to know there are three sequels... 1) Gathering Blue, 2) Messenger, and 3) Son. they are all really good, but The Giver is still my favorite!

Leanna_Rose said...
I can totally agree. I also found the book completely boring and mediocre.