The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

How powerful are words? How can they be so wonderful and at the same time cause so much destruction? These are the kinds of questions Liesel Meminger will have you ponder throughout Zusak's The Book Thief.

Liesel Meminger, a nine year-old girl, goes to live with a foster family after her brother dies. Liesel and her best friend Rudy hark on many adventures, in the small town of Molching, from defying their Hitler Youth commanders, to stealing apples from local farmers. Liesel, however, falls in love with books and literature after stealing The Grave Digger's Handbook from her brother's grave. Soon, with the help of Rudy, she begins stealing books from the mayor's wife's library. Along with help from her foster father, Hans Hubermann, and Max Vandenburg, a Jew hiding in the Hubermann's basement, Liesel learns the beauty and power you have when you posses words and how words can also bring pain and suffering to people.

This is an amazing book that took me right into the life of a young girl living in Nazi Germany. The Book Thief is told through the perspective of Death, which gives the book an edge that fits well with the time and place.

Markus Zusak did an amazing job developing believable characters and taking me into Liesel's head and heart. I couldn't put this novel down! I rated The Book Thief a ten and recommend it to anyone who enjoys a well crafted and powerful book.

Erecura PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon

"Hell is empty; all the devils are here."
The tempest

I loved the book thief

glimmer BRONZE said...
glimmer BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon

My favorite quote is one by Albert Einstein-
"Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow."

This book was very well written, and so was your review- i utterly enjoyed both!

HoppingPanda BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia
I agree!  I absolutely loved The Book Thief.  I'm a little upset with myself for not having read it sooner, but I'm glad I got to it.  Your review does the book great justice, thank you for writing it.