The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

The Giver
Adventure
Lois Lowry

Jonas is eleven and a half and lives in a fictional world in 2015. On his twelfth birthday he is singled out to receive special training from the Giver. The Giver holds the memories of true pain and pleasure of life. Now it's time for Jonas to receive the memories. When Jonas goes to annex he has no idea what is going on or what is going to happen to him. But when he meets up with the Giver he feels more comfortable. But what he doesn't know is true pain is about to begin.

The theme of this book is the journey to find the meaning of life, the young boy who experiences new feelings. He learns more about emotion and not just going through life's motions.

The theme matches the story of learning when the Giver does things for Jonas that makes him a better person. He was always willing to accept the memory visions. The Giver would place his hands upon Jonas back to transfer memories that Jonas could see.

Another example of staying in the theme of the story is a quote from the book that follows the motion vs emotion. “Jonas was feeling frightened; wrong world; Jonas though frightened”. Jonas became sick to his stomach after looking up at the sky and seeing as airplane. He had never experienced anything like that before. The emotion was overwhelming. He now became aware that he felt the emotion of sickness hot just going through the motion.

The author, Lois Lowry does a good job in explaining n great detail the memory visions. She also sees that Jonas grows and learns when he becomes a teacher to a baby boy that his mother and father adopt. Lowry leaves the reader with great hope and love for Jonas's future.

The Giver is a type of sci-fi read with a deeper meaning twist. Anyone who likes fictional stories might want to attempt to read this book. If there was a choice between this book and another, the chance to read something new would interest me.

The rating for this book should be three stars because this book was hard starting out but the further in the story the more interested you become.

Rating: * * *

Lizzy EJ said...
The book is da bomb but sad cause he aint got no freedom n it sad 4 sure