Always Running | Teen Ink

Always Running MAG

By Anonymous

     Many people have lives that are filled with one fortunate event after another. Even as they watch the news, they don’t understand how the other half, the less fortunate half, lives. Luis J. Rodriguez in his autobiography, Always Running, brings the reader into his world with in-depth descriptions of the violence, poverty, racism and fear that surrounded him in his youth.

After moving from Mexico

to America at the age of two, Rodriguez grows up on the streets of Los Angeles. His youth revolves around drugs, sex, gang violence, police brutality and racism against Mexicans. By his late teens, Rodriguez has already experienced it all, and is just beginning to escape.

As Rodriguez took me through his life, I experienced many emotions; disgust as he describes the police; fear during gang wars; pride when he makes a difference in his community.

As Rodriguez explains in the preface, his intention of telling his story is to help others avoid the pain and suffering he experienced; to show kids that they can escape the type of life that killed many of his friends. Because that’s not a life I’ve ever known, the book didn’t have that effect on me, but I was able to understand their difficulties.

Rodriguez eventually sees an escape and tries to bring his friends with him. Unfortunately for them, leaving that life is like deserting their family, not escaping from pain.

Reading this book is like a wake-up call; you see how different others’ lives are. You feel extremely lucky for what you have. His message is that it’s

always possible to extricate yourself.

When Rodriguez is 16, he

realizes gang wars, racism, and hatred need to stop. If the world were able to recognize this,

future generations wouldn’t have to live that kind of life. .

by Alex Schuman,

Issaquah, WA