Outsiders One-pager | Teen Ink

Outsiders One-pager

March 8, 2023
By KaiK BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
KaiK BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.” -Anonymous The quote explains that people think they can’t be with each other because of differences, but the differences make us unique. The impact of separation between the two social classes can be seen throughout the novel The Outsiders. Separation happens a lot to Ponyboy but he notices this and knows he just has to let it happen. He notices many things around him because he acknowledges the people around him. 


S.E. Hinton creates a picture in your mind about how other people know about the two -different social classes “Quite a few kids turned to look at us-you don’t see a kid grease and a socy cheerleader together often,” (30). This shows separation because if you hang out with a different friend group you might lose your original one. Hinton explains socs and greasers aren’t very different, “It seemed funny to me that socs-if these girls were any example-were just like us…I thought maybe it was just money that separated us,” (37). This shows separation because even if two different social groups are the same, money could still make them different. This evidence shows how Ponyboy acknowledges his surroundings. Hinton recalls the man telling Ponyboy he is too young to be smoking. “‘you shouldn’t be smoking…uh, you’re too young,’” (97). This shows separation because something that might be ok to your social group could be wrong to others. This quote shows that Ponyboy is a young naive boy that has not been exposed to many people other than the rest of the greasers. Hinton explains how Randy talked about the social classes between the socs and the greasers.“‘You can’t win, even if you whip us. You’ll still be where you were before-at the bottom. And we’ll still be the lucky ones with all the breaks,’” (117). This shows separation because wherever your social group starts, it will stay there no matter what you do. This quote shows that even a soc realizes socs are and always will be better than greasers. 


“The Outsiders”  demonstrates separation a lot throughout the novel. While it’s true that separation plays a key role in Ponyboy’s life, it’s also true that it’s not just him that’s being affected by it, it is happening to every one of the socs and greasers. 



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.