Pahua and the Soul Stealer By Lori M. Lee | Teen Ink

Pahua and the Soul Stealer By Lori M. Lee

By Clemmonds BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Clemmonds BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Destiny is a gift. Never forget that fear is but the precursor to valor. That to strive and triumph in the face of fear is what it means to be a hero. Don't think. Become."-Jim Lake jr.

This book genres are fantasy and drama. Aren’t you tired of reading about white super heroes. Then this is the book for you. It is about a Hmong female super hero  named Pahua who is a reincarnation of a character named Shee Yee. Shee yee is supposed to be the most strongest character in the book. The book really makes the characters loveable, my favorite character in the book is a spirit cat named Miv. Miv has been with Pahua almost her whole life. Miv could your favorite character too if your into cats with father problems. 

The book starts off with Pahua getting judged by her kitten as she gets ready for school. One relatable thing in the book is how Pahua has to deal with bullies at school. She is getting bullied because she is different as in Hmong. Her little brother comes to her school and gets attacked by a evil spirit. By that happening Pahua runs into another character named Zhong which is a Shaman warrior. Pahua and Zhong then go on a adventurer just to get her brother back. As they go on they run into enemies but build a bond and become friends which leads to Zhong teaching her how to use her powers.  Pahua in the book seems like a pacifist tho. She does not go for the kill even tho the enemies obviously want to kill her. But it does not matter since she gets her brother back from the main villain which we find out is  Miv´s father. Miv ran away because his father never loved him leading him to run into Pahua. That is most character development throughout the book. 

The message behind the book to me is to be yourself. I say that because Pahua has huge shoes to feel being the reincarnation of the greatest warrior in the book. When Pahua accepts that she can’t live up to the worlds expectations,  it lets us know that has character development as well,  just not better then Miv’s plot twist. 

I like the book but it isn’t one of those books that you recommend to everyone. Only a selection of people will love it.  So if you are into fantasy, life issues, family issues and adventures then it is a book for you.