Frankenstein: The Embodiment of Responsibility and Ambition | Teen Ink

Frankenstein: The Embodiment of Responsibility and Ambition MAG

July 6, 2022
By kathyausten_maltese PLATINUM, Taipei, Other
kathyausten_maltese PLATINUM, Taipei, Other
23 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Humanity is of multiple struggles: the struggles between vanity and ability, the contentions between desire and reality, and most importantly, the balance of ambition and responsibility. Ambitions may emerge in distinct forms; they may be of materialistic grounds or intellectual grounds. In the novel Frankenstein, Mary Shelley conveys the necessity of balancing the acquisition of knowledge and its destructive nature if uncontained. This is depicted by Frankenstein’s obsessive, yet irresponsible attempt to access the secrets of life that led to the creation of a creature, whose destructive actions left Frankenstein repenting for being the indirect cause of the deaths of loved ones.

The balance of ambition and responsibility is at the heart of Frankenstein, taken in the form of the pursuit of knowledge.

Frankenstein’s comparison of himself to Satan, “the archangel who aspired to omnipotence,” highlights the grandiosity of Frankenstein’s desires (Shelley 194). The narrative, on the other hand, shows that ambition isn’t enough to generate evil. Walton is introduced as a figure with as much ambition as Frankenstein, but he chooses to put his ambition aside for the sake of his team. The true mistake that Frankenstein makes is that he prioritizes his intellectual ambition over his responsibility to others, including Justine and the creature he created. The lack of responsibility to contain one’s pursuit of knowledge or any form of ambitious endeavors, engenders the imbalance of humanity’s desire and obligations, sowing the seeds of evil ends.

The disregard for responsibility produced false accusations about Justine and led to her imprisonment and eventual death. In the end, Frankenstein regretted making his ambition for knowledge an ungauged reservoir, as he was the indirect cause of the deaths, being the creator of the murderer. Frankenstein realized that he was an instrument in the suffering of others because without his search
for knowledge and the creation of the “monster,” Justine and William would have remained alive. Yet, his repenting was not completely exhaustive in the means that his creation was not in fact what caused the murders: the ignorance of his creation did. Frankenstein’s irresponsibility in taking care of his creation led to the suffering of his loved ones, as well as the product of his intellectual success: the creature. “Believe me, Frankenstein: I was benevolent, my soul glowed with love and humanity: but am I not alone, miserably alone? You, my creator, abhor me; what hope can I gather from your fellow creatures, who owe me nothing? they spurn and hate me” (Shelley 69). The words of the creature disclosed a complex character, rather than just a monstrosity born with innate turpitude. He revealed how his creator kindled his growing depravity by placing him in complete forlornness. Frankenstein created the monster to satiate his thirst for knowledge; but in the end, the creature suffered because of his lack of guidance. This especially demonstrates the tragic consequence of an overly passionate inquisition of knowledge, and the stark contrast of negligence toward the product of that intellectual quest.

Shelley’s novel Frankenstein stresses the importance of reconciling the acquisition of knowledge with its deadly tendency if left unchecked. Frankenstein’s zealous, yet negligent, endeavor to unlock the secrets of life led to the formation of a creature whose devastating deeds spurred Frankenstein to regret inadvertently causing the deaths of loved ones. Knowledge and the pursuit of it are one form of humanity’s ambitions and accomplishments, but if left in flames of ungoverned ardor and irresponsibility, all struggles will be in vain in face of the consequences that befall. Adversity, be it mental or physical, personal or interpersonal, will torment the Frankensteins — the ambitious yet irresponsible members of human society.