A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin | Teen Ink

A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin

By Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia
Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

It is rare to find a book that matches the whimsicality of its cover. To find a story that captures the bright colors and flowing designs so effortlessly that it feels like the words simply appeared on the page. To read a novel that features the intricate designs of art while holding the attention of the reader for its entirety. A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin is such a book. 

In a world where the preparation of tea contains great power, Ning risks everything to venture to the Imperial Court to save her dying sister. A tournament is being held to determine who will be the next courtly Shennong-shi, or master of the magical art. As Ning fights for favor through a series of dangerous competitions, the opulent world of the court hides a dangerous secret that threatens to destroy the empire. With writing that is a feast for the senses, and a story so masterfully brewed that the full impact is not revealed until the end, A Magic Steeped in Poison is a must-read for every YA lover.

Ning was a delightful main character, for while she is intelligent, she is not physically strong. She fights with her mind and her words, not with the steel and anger that are the usual weapons for YA heroines. Her grief and conflict over the past remain raw and powerful without putting a damper on the rest of the story. The side cast of characters-–from fellow competitors to the princess overseeing the competition—had defined personalities that made them into individuals without overshadowing the main plot.

What made A Magic Steeped in Poison so spectacular was the sumptuous writing. Each and every description was vivid enough to fall into. When scents were described, the reader could practically catch a whiff of licorice and camilla in the air. The description of every tea and the story behind it left a slight taste in the mouth as if the tea had shared some of its power, even through the paper.

A complex magic system is built within the confines of the novel, with gorgeous mythology and a system of power that begs to be explored further. Luckily for the audience, A Venom Dark and Sweet (the second book in the duology) comes out on August 23, 2022, so there isn’t long to wait. Yet every day spent waiting will feel like an eternity until readers can get another taste of such a wondrous tale.