《The Stranger》book review | Teen Ink

《The Stranger》book review

By strikerzhao BRONZE, Ningbo, Other
strikerzhao BRONZE, Ningbo, Other

After reading this novel, I was not mesmerized by the plot nor the actions of the story. The content of the novel was nothing extraordinary. It is merely an excerpt of an ordinary person's life, recounted in a direct, nonsensical first person style. What actually moved me was the main ideas that the author raised. This novel is far from utopia ideals, and quite on the contrary, the author addressed serious questions of morality, justice, society, religion, and violence that shattered his world.

First of all, we witness the sharp contrast of the novel's settings. In such a world, a person who possesses the highest legal authority is revealed tp be a ruthless and rigid oppressor. Such a  person is distorted and numb in nature, due to the limitations of a stringent framework. Here, the author is regarded as a stranger (the world is also strange to him), so everything depicted in his works are subsequently strange, evil and negative. For example, he used to spend his time in his home gazing at the outside world through the glass window. The scenes he described include "gray city", "strange clouds", "crowded streets" and "noisy people.” These words remind readers of our inner restlessness, depression and separation. Here, the author expresses his views of the world as meaningless and irrational. However, the only sense of joy the author experiences is the time spent with his fiancee Mary. Mary embodies the charm of women, which attracts the author, making him happy and providing him with a sense of belonging. She is the only character who can understand the author, and unconditionally supports him. His relationship with her is enlivens the entire novel. This is highlighted through the rather vivid, elaborate, and beautiful descriptions of the physical around around him - "blue sky", "cool sea", "beautiful beach", "lazy sun.” It has been mentioned twice after my mother's death and in prison.

In the novel, the author showed very little grief, even during his mother’s funeral. Instead, the author emotionlessly recounted some trivial events, and practical details of his external world. When the author was thrown into jail, he was indifferent and distant. He eventually familiarized himself with his surroundings, lost track of the time, and composed his follow-up. From these details, we can decipher that the author has provided his readers space and liberty to ponder about the cruelty of society, and the deterioration of human nature. Throughout the novel, the author shaped himself into a powerless, submissive protagonist, who became a victim trapped in his world. Although the story may be a fiction, it is a reflection of the socio-economic, and political climax of the time and the age of the author.

Meursault’s confinement in prison provides a deeper insight into the novel. Similarly to Chekhov's satire, the author describes the sad people in their miserable environment, rather than citing any regret or regret over what he has committed. For instance, during the court trial, the author did not participate at all due to his quiet nature - an image that he sustains throughout the entire text. There is no sentence to express one's opinion without authorization. It's more about how witnesses, defense lawyers and judges play. The author witnessed the whole process, observed the interplay between witnesses, defense lawyers, and the Judge, ,and truthfully narrated a rather ridiculous trial. The Judge’s strong subjectivity is a stark juxtaposition to the author's indifference and numbness. These are the two extremities that the author aimed to express. In particular, the lawyers’ speeches to the jury, distorting the facts, and appealing to the emotional sentiments is a clear illustration of the absurdity of the trial and justice. The trial considers itself objective, despite pinpointing on subjective characters and alienating the subject itself is in fact, satirical and contradictory.

The author’s sole outlet of expression is immersing himself in his imaginative intelligence. Interestingly, he discovered joy amidst the seemingly boring prison life, but deemed ordinary pleasures to be colorless and tasteless. Indeed, the author’s vivd imagination and memories can be said to be the climax of the full text. His thoughts were only fully transparent to him in his own world. His detached behaviors and thoughts spoke for him - pouring out to his readers the ironic absurdity of humanity’s impractical attempts to enforce rationality and meaning in a dysfunctional and feckless world. After all, the author’s ideal society was simply escaping reality.

Some spoilers may be present.