Blood Ninja | Teen Ink

Blood Ninja

By OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California
OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California

"I don't quit, I don't run, and I don't ever go back on my word because that's my ninja way!"- Naruto Uzumaki/ Masashi Kishimoto

Blood Ninja is a book that is able to leave you in wonder and it leaves you thinking about what’s going to happen next. Each chapter that you read has a hidden secret that makes you want to know more and go further into the book.  

Honestly, for someone that reads only manga, this book has definitely caught my attention. I would have never expected myself to be interested in reading a book other that’s not even a manga. This book took me a year to read, but the journey of reading and knowing the story was well worth it. As you read this book, you will find that the 1st main character is not just a simple commoner. The reason why I say “1st main character” is because this book combines 2 stories from different perspectives. This is one reason why I find this book interesting because I get to read another’s story and how those the two will end up. Another interesting factor to is that this book has mentioned vampire ninjas which makes me drawn even more into the book, especially the fight scenes.

The 1st main character of this book is Taro. Taro is thought to be a simple commoner living a simple life with his mother, father, and his friend Hiro. One day he bears witness to an unforgettable incident that occurs. His father’s execution done by mysterious figures moving to quick for him to see. He and his mother escapes the house but is surrounded by what is explained to be “vampire ninjas.”  Taro and his mother are then saved by a mysterious man dressed in black. They are then separated promising to see each other again one day.

At this point is when his life starts to change. After being near death’s door caused by a stab wound by one of the vampire ninjas, he is then turned into a vampire by the mysterious man. After the mysterious man slaughters them, he takes Taro and Hiro to another location to learn the way of the ninja. It is then revealed that  Taro is told to have a destiny he cannot outrun. That destiny of his is to be a future daimyo. For example, a scene that is revealed within the book is that he is the son of the daimyo, Lord Tokugawa.

The 2nd main character of this book is Lady Hana. She is the daughter of the evil daimyo, Lord Oda. Because Lady Hana is Lord Oda’s offspring there are assassins sent to kill her. Although she is skilled with the sword, she does not outclass others in combat everytime. One day when she is assaulted, a mysterious boy and two of his comrades save her life. She offer him a gift of gratitude and gives him her ring. Hoping one day she will be able to see him again. One day an incident occurs and she is able to meet  the young boy again. On that fateful night, all of the truth is revealed to her by her father. With nowhere to go, she sides with the young boy instead, following him on his journey.

I recommend Blood Ninja to people ages 12+ and readers like to put things together as they read the book. This book is like a puzzle and you have to take parts of the book and put them together to be able to get a clear picture. This book shows that we don’t have any idea of what will come tomorrow. plus, who would'nt want to read about vampire ninjas?

This book has allowed me to look more into other genres. As of right now, I'm currently on part 2 of Blood Ninja.