Familiar Gaze | Teen Ink

Familiar Gaze

By Veruschka BRONZE, Bangalore, Other
Veruschka BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

Remember you and me? 
All our times when we were sixteen 
But now when I look at you 
All I know is that you are a familiar gaze, who I wish I knew 
I see that familiar soul who is almost dead now, but begging to come out, so please let it out

Remember your comforting yet peculiar smell of grass and tangerine
But now when  I come in and lean 
All I smell is tears and somebody new 
That somebody new who I wish I never knew 

Remember your soft voice and mellifluous songs
The songs that made me listen to you for long 
But now when I hear you
I hear somebody with a loud voice who has crushed their soft soul, somebody who can be understood by few 

If you don’t remember who you were, do you at least remember our memories
Wait, there is no point of remembering, I know you forgot all the times we used to run around  and climb trees
That familiar soul has died now, all remaining is that familiar gaze 
That familiar gaze. We know that we know each other, but are not able to escape this maze 
So let that familiar soul stay captive, it’s fine. Let me pretend that I don’t know you and let’s act like it’s all fine 

My name is Veruschka and I am a 7th grader (13 years old) who is a poetess and author writing on topics such as nature awareness and discrimination. I am from The International School Bangalore in India and have been previously published on eminent magazines for my poems and esteemed newspapers such as Deccan Herald and Times Of India.