The Bus of Life | Teen Ink

The Bus of Life

By Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California
Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

Feel free to love yourself, they say.

Feel free to explore who you are...

as long as you follow your dreams...

You, like I, will only have to love this world.

After all, this harsh world beckons us. 

It calls upon us both like the PA system on a bus...

...cold and harsh, a caucophony on our bleeding ears...

It welcomes us uncaringly. It greets us just as the savage capitalist greets its interns. It does not care to know our name.

Meanwhile, buses will continue to move. Capitalists will continue to make profit. And life will continue to move on, with or without you.

So what will your complaints accomplish? Your cries of despair are all in vain. What to do?

No matter who you are, regardless of whether you're a passenger on a bus or a capitalist, life will simply tell you once:

"Feel free to get on the bus."

No matter your answer, the bus will go on towards it course of life.

No matter your answer, capitalists will continue to make money at the expense of life.

No matter your answer, you'll always be free to love yourself.

Indeed,

You'll be free to explore the world both in and out of the bus. Let the world offer its own journeys to you.

In writing this piece, I almost became someone else and I loved that about the writing experience. Just in writing this, I almost assured myself that it's okay to be someone else. It's that message, the message that you can be anyone and do anything, that is central to the poem. Through the use of anaphora and imagery, I tried to emphasize the idea that no matter the conditions you're facing right now, now matter how much you're suffering, you're free to love yourself.