Eulogy | Teen Ink

Eulogy

By Unspoken_Word SILVER, Bronx, New York
Unspoken_Word SILVER, Bronx, New York

I was going to name this piece Orlando, but this isn't the first incident of its kind and it won't be the last. It'll happen tomorrow. It'll happen next week. It'll happen Saturday June 26th 2016, and many more people will die. And I'll tell you who will kill them. I will. I will watch the news and feel bad for the families of the victims. I will feel so bad that I'll write Facebook statuses and poetry and say, "We are Orlando". But I will also let it happen again. You will kill them too. You will decide that your right to have a gun is more important than 49 people's right to live. You will say that you should not be punished for the actions of a mentally unstable person. That you should not suffer because another Muslim decided to go on another killing spree. That you are already restricted enough. You will pull a trigger in Texas and it will find the heart of someone in New York. We are bearing witness to the murders of human beings and our inaction will leave finger prints on the barrel. Our moments of silence will leave smoke in the air thick enough to choke the survivors. We will shed a tear, or we won't,  and then tomorrow we will cry about the next thing. Or we won't.

It's human nature to repeat the same mistakes that you are too afraid to make right. Don't let fear stop you from saving lives.