The Lone Lily | Teen Ink

The Lone Lily

By KiernanCo. BRONZE, Trinity, Florida
KiernanCo. BRONZE, Trinity, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Fame, it's not your brain, it's just the flame that burns your change to keep you insane." -David Bowie

I let my petals soak in the solitude of silence. My skinny frame allows me to sway in the breeze, and takes me back to the days where lonliness was merely stored in the buried roots of my body.

Me and him.

Him and me.

My words have so much meaning when he is in the sentence. He had a slender build, almost too perfect for my taste, and when the sun reflected off of his petals, beautiful streaks of color radiated onto me. The passing clouds above my floral white dress takes me back to the sticky summer days when he would dance with me to the rhythm of the wind; the only ropes holding us tethered to the ground were the roots bonded to our stems.

Me and him.

Him and me.

It was when the blades of glass were speckled with gold that his leaves started to brush against my own. It sent shivers up my stem, a longing overcame lonliness, and as if by chance the breeze intertwined my stem with his. Time was frozen. My love was officially chosen.

Me and him.

Him and me.

It was the day the sun didn't shine what his beautiful petals started to whither. The smell of death was imminent, but I was too stubborn to let him crumble. If I had a heart to break, it would be crushed in-between my petals and bitterly sprinkled onto the dirt floor. My partner was slowly taking the turn for the worst, and all I could do was give him one final dance under the hazy dome of clouds above our heads. With each gust of the autumn wind, we would sway back and forth to the tune of our memories. But it occured to me that by the time our ballad was over, I would be the lone flower in a field of dreams.

Me and him.

Me.

A life without love cannot possibly be lived. I continue to learn this as I rock back and forth to the melody of the breeze. It is the only thing that keeps me from withering away myself. In a field filled with endless possibilites, one can only hope that the days continue to turn into nights, that the boundaries of love can always be broken, that memories will cease to fade away, that there is a purpose inscribed for us all. There is a lonely Lily hiding inside us, deep down in the buried roots of our bodies. We just have to hold onto the hope that she forgets to come out to dance.

A lonely flower reminisces of times with her lost love (Literally in the point of view of a flower in a field).