Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

May 31, 2016
By FADartist BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia
FADartist BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I will live to move forward.  I see now that my adolescence is merely a chapter in the book of my life and I must read it to the end.  Children are born into this world like caterpillars, they eat and grow, preparing for the change that will push them into the next stage of life.  A children turn into teenage high schoolers, the caterpillar goes into its cocoon.  Both are imprisoned in a structure that seems dark.  The trials and tribulations pushing us down, killing our spirits, but only to make us stronger in the end, for past these walls that breed darkness and enclosement, is a light that embodies freedom.  As teenagers become adults, the caterpillar emerges from it’s cocoon as a beautiful butterfly soaring freely through the sky, its wings, sturdy to take on the real challenges of life.  I must get to that point.  Teens cling to familiarity, but change is inevitable, for time is an idea that can’t be stopped and it can’t be reversed.  It can only go one way and we must grow and change with the flow.  I must live forward.


The author's comments:

This poem was inspired by the challenges I face as an ever growing teenager in a world that's constantly testing my resolve in big and small ways.