Moving On | Teen Ink

Moving On

By malyn12 BRONZE, Moore, South Carolina
malyn12 BRONZE, Moore, South Carolina
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

He was in my dreams at night. I dreamt of running my fingers through his hair, him laughing with his crooked teeth at the way I mumbled about his hair being soft. I couldn't keep my eyes off of his smile or my mind off of his lips. But then I awoke. And I knew what needed to be done, so I ran to my shower and turned the dull knob that had once been so bright as hot as it would allow. The water scorched my body, leaving my skin red and burning, but my head had been screaming just to burn out every trace of him I had left in me for months, so the pain felt so much like relief to my bones. Little did I know, the only time I touched his hand, his skin had poisoned my bloodstream with the inextinguishable desire for him to love me. So, hair dripping wet, lying on my bed, I whispered to myself, "No, you won't ever completely leave me, boy, but I will find someone who will show me such a deep love someday, that it will blind my mind from ever picturing you again."

Many teens experience break-ups and times when they have to move on from someone they loved.  These times are very difficult, but common to go to.  I wrote this piece of poetry about the way I had to move on from someone I loved and realize that I was worth so much, even without him in my life.