Awake in a Dream | Teen Ink

Awake in a Dream

January 28, 2015
By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
92 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."


I'm lying down, your hands upon me. The fear of being captured consumes me. I'm bleeding through my heart, can't you see? THe way you've beat me leaves me screaming. You've plucked me from reality, a place where I tried so hard to escape. I'm deficient, a worthless weanie in your palm. It's time you've let me go.

I want to let go.

Let me go.

Allow me to soar.

I'm soaring through the clouds that leave tears lingering in my eyes. No wings, no strings, just me and my arms spread across the sky. Sure, I've cried a thousand times over being bullied.

But I've retreated, with a few bruises, to tell my story.

The winds current casts me downward back into the world. The sky darkens, the night covers the day, and reality seems to be replaced.

It's a nightworld here, nothing but sadness and endless dreams.

Nightmares.

But I lay awake, eyes opened wide, as I wait for the sun to reawake.

I'm not being touched this time though, and my bruises don't hurt. Maybe the bully has gone, has hidden.

Or maybe, he never existed at all. I can't remember his voice, or the taunting words he snarled in my ears. I can't remember his hands on my body, inflicting horrible pain.

I shut my eyes at last, huddled under my thin sheets. Maybe I have been awake, as I've been in a dream.