Addicted | Teen Ink

Addicted

By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Some people smoke.
Some people drink.
And I do something just as bad;
I think, and think, and think.

The hours fly by
With the tears on my cheek
What if I'd done this,
Why didn't I speak?

It's hard being an introvert,
Where all I've got is time.
And this bloody pen,
Which I use to rhyme.

To be honest though,
Writing's even worse.
It’s an addiction;
a habit that
is more like a curse.

on Jan. 30 2015 at 12:12 am
Nightingale74 PLATINUM, Beavercreek, Ohio

"When you need something to believe in, believe in yourself."
"A poem unwritten is only a thought; unshared, unsaid..."

Gosh Liv, this was incredible! But then again, you never cease to impress me with your words and insights :) I think this poem really has so many different emotions in it. I sensed guilt, longing, regret, and frustration, as well as a little bit of love. I'm not entirely sure if this was your intention, but I noticed that even though the speaker in this poem was expressing their frustrations with the writer's curse...they expressed that in a poem. It was almost paradoxical that you wrote a poem about how writing is a curse...very intriguing, I like it!!! Great job, can't wait to read more of your work :)

on Jan. 20 2015 at 9:23 am
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is absolutely, beautiful, Liv. I love this. I'm not sure how to explain this, but your poem has so much beauty and it has such a fragility yet strength in it, that makes it even more strong. If this makes sense, weakness and strength are blended in together so well, in your poem; which makes it phenomenal and strong to me. You have such a talent and greatness and light and strength; and so much more. You're a beautiful and strong and wonderful and talented writer and person and friend. All of this and just much more. I'm always happy when I get to see your work. I always look forward to it. :) Thank you so much, Liv.! For sharing this. :)