Barbie | Teen Ink

Barbie

By laxgirl06 ELITE, Cheshire, Connecticut
laxgirl06 ELITE, Cheshire, Connecticut

The anatomy of perfection.
The plastic conception of beauty,
right in the palm of your hands.

Golden blonde beauty queen,
poised, flawless, and eager to
conquer the world
in her four inch heels.
But much too bubblegum for reality.

Muscle definition like no other,
faultless porcelain skin,
eyes like iridescent diamonds,
and gleaming white teeth.

Still,
I wonder what would happen
if I sliced into that perfect torso of hers.
Would there be a perfect plastic heart
beating inside of it, too?
Or just a vacant cavity,
occupied by nothing.
Nothing at all.

on Nov. 5 2014 at 9:37 am
laxgirl06 ELITE, Cheshire, Connecticut
Thank you so much! I just have to sit down and write, I think. (The novel I was referring to.) And I completely agree, plastic fairness is really popular right now. I'm glad you found my poem to be a good read. I enjoyed writing it. I'll read some of your stuff when I get a chance, and thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

on Nov. 5 2014 at 12:46 am
Extraterrestrial SILVER, Singapore, Other

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

I don't know if you remember, but you posted a comment some time ago on a forum I started. Terribly sorry for the long delay in replying, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by "expand my ideas", so I'm just going to comment on a few of your stuff and... yeah. Anyway. There's a lot going on about the plastic fakeness of Barbie and how it influences young girls negatively, etc. etc. But I have to say, you've taken this issue that has been discussed ad nauseam, and given it a good spin. I love the imagery you used, the powerful adjectives, and the diction. I had to stop and reread your poem out loud a few times in one of those rare instances when the words are so beautifully, naturally constructed, that they just flow out like honey. The last stanza is really what gets to me. I love how your poem on Barbies can be applied to real-world situations as well. Sometimes there really are human Barbies. So, in a nutshell, wonderful job, brilliant poem. (Also, the inside of a Barbie is hollow -- I was a thoroughly sadistic child.)