How High? | Teen Ink

How High?

By Lois Vincent BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
Lois Vincent BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Underneath her perfect smile, she was wondering about her next fix. She was between two worlds, and sometimes, when she was at her lowest, when she'd steal money from her parents or her roommates. But she wasn't an addict, okay? She just got high sometimes when she was feeling down,and maybe that seemed all the time lately... but she was okay, she had good grades, she was happy sometimes, life was good. Sometimes. When those sometimes happened, all she needed was her fix. Her fix, and the bad stuff didn't look so bad, her problems were gone and she was on another planet. She was an enigma, sometimes her friends felt as if they couldn't relate to her anymore. A few days , after her twenty-first birthday, they found her in the bathroom. Her parents didn't know. Did you see what she was hiding under her smile?

I hope people will come to realize drug abuse is a serious problem, that isn't affecting people in a distant land, but in America.

1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Thank you

Lamplighter BRONZE, Lakeside, California

“I’d rather be hated for telling the truth than be loved for telling a lie.”

Thank you for writing this. It's so beautiful and holds so much truth. I think you have the potential to do a lot with your poetry, and help a lot of hurting people.. To me, at least, that's the best feeling in the world. Keep it up! You have an amazing heart.