The End of Summer | Teen Ink

The End of Summer

By DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio

The end of Summer is near
Just two weeks more.
I shed a silent tear
Realizing my summer is almost gone.

The warm August days
Slip by so fast.
Oh, how I wish
I could make them last.

And as each day
Ends in a golden sunset
I wish it would stay
Summer, just a bit longer

So I wave a silent goodbye
To my sweet summer so dear
And I watch and cry
As the sun goes down
On the last day

Of Summer…

This summer has been the best. I will never forget it. But i am sad to see it go, no matter how much I love Autumn, nothing can compare to the magic of Summer...

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Hey!
If I recall correctly, you're the one who wrote the other lovely poem on summer. Just like in "Summer," I love your sublte, well placed rhymes, natural and human. I felt as if someone were sitting with me, and we were both wistfully regretting summers end. Even in December, this poem feels ecellent and relevant! Write on, DawnieRae!

freeperson DIAMOND, Burlington, Vermont

"Have you seen the way he looks at you, the way his expression softens and his eyes are like stars...?" - Ara Weston

Fyi new pieces of work! :)

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
thank you! I'm really glad it made you feel that way! I love all the time and effort you put into writing these comments! It really makes my day!! :) 

RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

Though I dislike summer, this poem reminded me of my young childhood and how once summer had been beautiful. This was a spectacular poem that made me feel the warm glow of nostalgia carry through my body. 

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
thanks so much!! I am really glad you liked it! I wanted it to have that effect on people! 

sarah98 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 2 2013 at 10:05 am
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

uhhhh i agree so muchhh. i miss my summer too. youre poem had excellent imagery and brought back memories of my own. greatttt job

on Sep. 2 2013 at 7:04 am
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
thanks freeperson! I am so glad you like it!! I wil definetly read your poem right now! 

on Sep. 1 2013 at 11:06 am
freeperson DIAMOND, Burlington, Vermont

cool this is so true ! i have some work i would like you to look at its called wonders

katherine said...
i love this! its how i feel on the last day of summer too.

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Thanks i'm glad you liked it! I agree it does need more details. I sent this in before i read it carefully so i didn't edit it a lot. also i thought it was perfect when i sent it in, i see now that it's not. :) 

Mollybug16 BRONZE, Cleveland, Tennessee

Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try.

Great poem but it neede a little more details. 5 stars.  *

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Thanks, I am glad you can feel the emotion! That is what I wanted it to do. Thank you for the feedback! Thank you for the great advise. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I'm with Krasota on this poem. I feel the emotion, but I think you should tell me why this was the best summer ever. I feel like you're trying to unravel it for us. But you need to go bare it for us. Otherwise, a good poem. 

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Thank you for the suggestion I will try to use more metaphores in my writing! Have a great day!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Nice rhyme! My suggestion is to use more metaphors/similes in your poem. Otherwise, awesome job! :P

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Please peoples tell me what you think!!!