Mirrored Walls | Teen Ink

Mirrored Walls

By ZeroDarkFlirty BRONZE, Eastvale, California
ZeroDarkFlirty BRONZE, Eastvale, California

"The strength of the pack is the wolf
And the strength of the wolf is the pack."
-Rudyard Kipling

I look around these abandoned halls
But all I see are mirrored walls
Reflections wander their surface alone
Yet none of them are my own
I used to know one- a child
Young and carefree, not afraid to live wild
He smiles- a seraph's kiss
Amid the surrounding abyss
He is joyful and he is loved
A far cry from his neighbor- shunned

This one is older; I knew him, too
Society has changed his worldview
He used to be an optimist- so full of hope
But now he struggles just to cope
Nobody ever said the world could be so harsh
Yet this reality has torn him apart
He used to see the good in all
But now, they only hope he'll fall
He wages his own war from within
Trying to hide from the monster the next has been

Time doesn't matter to him- he just turned eleven
It's just an illusion- to him, like Heaven
He used to have faith, he held it true
But the first girl who stole his heart broke that, too
She looked so divine, like the angels he was told of so much
So serene he'd almost collapse at her touch
It never reached that point- it never could
She never loved him, though he thought she would
"You'll never be good enough," she said
And those five words nearly struck him dead
That night he asked the sky why he deserved this pain
But no rain would come to wash it all away

There's another, further down the aisle
His feet are worn- he's dragged them a thousand miles
Five years can change all you've known
But he doesn't even have a place to truly call "home"
Parents, peers, passerbys and those who claim to care
All of them have ignored him as if there was nothing there
He tried to save himself, to seek salvation again
But all he is is what he was back then
Twenty-one times he's been broken, plus another today
He's calling out to me now, he has something to say
His expression shows a past of heartbreak; violence
But as for his words, all I hear is silence
Then- a shadow beyond the walls! His identity: a mystery

He doesn't know me, nor do I know him
His heart is broken, and wisps are spilling from within
They are memories- visions of a better past
But they seem so blurry from beyond the glass
Then I see them- a girl, one I know, it seems
I realize he is trying to show me his dreams!
The next- a family, looking up to him like a life-bringer
And the girl, at his side, a diamond halo on her finger
At last, he stands and approaches the vast,
All-encompassing wall of glass
He mouths the words to me, I hear them true:
"Don't ever let me become you"
I looked around the walls, to every memory
All of them agreed, joining hands like family
I wanted to break the glass- I wanted to set them free!
But all I'd be breaking
Is me.

If you truly want to understand this work, you must approach it with an open mind. If you don't, it's likely you'll miss its true, deeper meaning

AllSoPlayfulWhenYouDemonize BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

"Our passion is our strength."
-Billie Joe Armstrong

This is beautiful! You're great at writing. This really inspired me, thank you so much!

elycavill SILVER, Samobor, Other

Leave nothing but footprints,
Take nothing but pictures,
Kill nothing but time.

Stunning, amazing, powerfull!

sophistryxo SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.”
-Jack Kerouac

Oh my gosh this is incredible! I read it three times before I commented because it was so amazing. You are a phenomenal writer!

on Jul. 15 2013 at 8:04 am
SincerelyManon GOLD, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Memories are the only things that don't change when everything else does.

I reread this poem multiple times and i just never get sick of it. It's just so beautiful and quite mesmurizing. great great great work:)

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

I know I have aready commented, but I just felt that I needed to again due to this poem's captivating meaning. It is truly beautiful, and poets such as yourself are few in finding. I read this poem over and over and reminds me so much of myself, and that is the true purpose of a writer, yes? The whole concept of mirrored walls and different versions of yourself is so inspiring and so personal that I really connected to your unique writer's voice. The ending leaves the reader open-mouthed, eyes wide; it deserves multiple applause due to the ability of complete suprise. The reader might believe that the narrator is remembering lost souls of his/her family. However, this is not the case. Well done again; I can tell you will go far in your journey to being an author.

Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California

"Impossible; for How many people did you know who refracted your own light to you?” - Fahrenheit 451

That was amazing. I loved how you did like a timeline of what happened. It was sad, but I liked how you put that emotion in there. Sadness, confusion, regret . . . You incorporated all of these. Again, it was amazing, and I loved it.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It almost reminds me of Justin Timberlake's song "Mirrors". Sorry, if that's cheesy. This poem in itself is stunning. I love the imagery and the powerful theme. You incorporated so much time, effort, love, thought, metaphors, similes, and everything that makes a great poem. Wonderful! 

TheCapturedBat GOLD, Belen, New Mexico

If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.
-- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

This is beautiful and thought provoking and has such truth! I especially love the line "His heart his broken, and wisps are spilling from within." I'm amazed by the way you describe memory and identity so beautifully. Your poem is heartbreaking.

Myvoice4change SILVER, Other, Other

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

This is a good poem!! You also did a good job with the rhyming. I can relate. 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey Zero! How have you been? It's been awhile since we last spoke, but it is nice to see that you have some new work up! I really enjoyed everything about this. I enjoyed the title, the photo, the poem, the length, the rhymes, and the deeper meaning. You are such a POWERFUL writer. The rhymes are super solid and flow really well. The descriptions are really clear. I like learning about these people, it's really interesting and sad. I love all of it and I think you did a wonderful job. Keep it up!

"The strength of the pack is the wolf
-Rudyard Kipling

Thanks for the feedback, I really apreciate it! But while I'm here, I just want to clarify a few things, not to say you interpreted the work "wrong," or anything, I just want to explain the work as I designed it. So, before I divulge any secrets that give away details to the work's true meaning, let me just say: SPOILER ALERT. That being said, let's begin. The title character is a 'he' (me, to be exact). The reflections he sees, as is revealed by the final lines and hinted to by the fact that he says he "knows" the reflections, are his past selves. It follows my life from childhood (1st reflection) to elementary school (2nd reflection) to junior high (3rd reflection) to present day (4th reflection) to a darker, yet possible future (5th reflection.) The character is seeing all of his past selves and trying to find which one he is, or ever was. Another careful fact to note is that because the character sees glass all around him, he is actually trapped inside his past, and he wants to break free, but can't, as he realizes his past has made him who he is. So, basically, you learn my life story in 5 stanzas. Hope this helped, and I'll be sure to work on your review in return (been busy lately.) Have a nice day!

GraphicWriter DIAMOND, Yuba City, California
Honestly, I'm just sitting here in awe. Well Beaver Dam.. That's so good. I thought she was going through a room of old souls that were belonging to someone else, like a funeral. But rather she sees everything she could be, that the world has the chance of turning her into, and she's getting the encouragement to change it. Your choice of all the male 'memories' is very interesting for a female that is the main focus. It's like her struggles, deep inside herself, are strangers to even her, but she addresses that they're there. This is amazing. Something I'd recommend for other poeple to read if they ever wanted to understand the statement "read inbetween the lines." Absolutely, untterly mind blowing, jaw dropping, breathtaking.... Just some words I'd use to describe this

WrenArrington, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I really like how you have the mirror theme at the beginning and end with the story in the middle. I feel like this was too long, but at the same time I'm not sure you could shorten it without losing the meaning. Maybe you could try breaking it into more paragraphs to make it look like less of a challenge to read. Okay, disregarding the fact that it was a lot to tackle, I liked your rhyme scheme, though your word choice was a little weak at times--for example, instead of saying "he's calling out to me now" you could've said "screaming out" or "crying out" to make it more interesting. The last few lines wrapped it up nicely; it was a strong, thought-provoking finish, and that's pretty important when you want the reader to come away from your work with something to ponder. Overall, nice job :)

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

ZERO!!!! This is amazing! The descriptions are perfect and i could see everyone of these people Lear as day. I felt their longing and their heartbreak. And the end, what a twist!!! Here you are talking about these people you do not wish to be when it fact it turns out that the person is them!! Truly magnificent, and i love your comment about how you have to read this with an open mind: so true. The talent in this poem can not be limited to one paragraph or post. It is extraordinary. Wanna know why? Because it makes the reader think while engaging them in the story. After reading this we wonder if we all have these people inside of us. The violence, heartbreak and longing, and we are only human. Beautiful work, if i were and editor i would have given you a check mark 6/5 stars (haha i wish) and i will soon favorite this. It's now one of my favorites!! Amazing job zero, and now i am more than ever happy to have you part of our virtual family :)) have a wonderful night and keep rockin

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

Henry David Thoreau

John Green

I am definetly speechless after reading this. The way you described everything, the way you used imagery and rhyme, and the way you created a whole different meaning to this was outstanding! You wrap the whole poem up very fluently and perfectly at the end!! I had to read this over and over and I got chills every time! You are a brilliant writer with phenomenal talent! :)

on Jun. 18 2013 at 9:53 am
IndigoElisabeth SILVER, Woodbury, New Jersey

John 1:1

Oh. My. Gosh. This is fabulous! You have a ton of talent. The only adjustments I'd make are to change slightly the wording at the end of a couple stanzas, because they don't match the rhyme in the other stanzas. (Except the last one.) Other than that, wow. This is 5/5⭐.