How I Became Red Again | Teen Ink

How I Became Red Again

By kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California
kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

When I was red, I was happy
I had no sense of sadness in my head
I didn't mind how others acted
I just accepted what they said
But as life went on and the seasons changed
I felt myself become blue
No more smiles, just broken hopes
My dreams were crushed by you
You watched me, red, when you were blue
And soon after you became green
The words you said took tole on me
You got red by being mean.
When I was blue a gray girl approached me
And the girl told me a colorful plan
For she had no color unlike any other
And she took me out for a tan
When at the beach I fell asleep
She smiled and shook her head
See I forgot sunscreen, the most important thing
And when I woke up, again I was red.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

I love this poem, and the ending especially. I felt like some of the sentences were worded awkwardly though, but that's a minor thing compared to how much I enjoyed reading it (:

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Your use of color here is amazing. I love the way you use it to represent the emotions and relationships between people. The only thing is that I don't think it sounds like a poem, rather prose. There's not really a rhythm to it, but it kind of works. Nice work!

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

Your use of colors in this poem and the use of the photo go together really well. The poems I have read of yours so far have all rhymed. I love that about them.

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it

Wow! The only word I can think of is to say wow! It's amazing how you looked at all the little things, I never thought anyone would really look at what I tried to do to enhance my poetry but I'm so glad you did and I really appreciate it, thank you!

WrenArrington, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I always enjoy colors being used to enhance the meaning of a poem, so I really like this. It was light-hearted even if the subject matter was rather dark. Nice job.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Oh, hello, it's me.. again. I enjoyed everything about this. I'll tell you what I enjoy about each thing. So, the title, first and most importantly. Titles are so important in writing, they are what people see first and they can make or break something because if the reader doesn't find anything they like about the title, the chances of them clicking the work are small. And this one caught my attention and it left open perpesctive for me. I had no clue what this would be about, but I thought it would be unique. (I was correct.) And I love the fact that you used a color in the title. I love when writers use color in their work. It gives great visuals. Okay, now to the picture. The picture is so odd, I really enjoy looking at it, it's like a puzzle. It also includes many of the colors that you used in the poem. The red, of course. The blue. The white which is close to grey. You did a great job finding a picture that really went with the poem. And last, but certainly not least, the POEM. This was certainly the most amusing and unusual poem that I have ever read. All of the colors that symbolized feelings were wonderful. I love color and I love symbols. The way you rhymed was great, it flowed really nice. I love to see the feelings change along with the colors. As the narrarator gets sadden and the colors change, the poem actually lightens up, and builds to the wonderful ending. I was impressed with this, as I expected to be, but it was so much more than I thought it would be. While I know this was long, I wanted to show you the reasons I loved this. So, one more time, I love this poem. Great job.

How's the sunburn? At least you're red! Thanks, by the way.

Childofthemind BRONZE, San Marcos, California
I like your use of colors to describe people. but now you have reminded of me of the fact that I have a really bad sunburn and it hurts! but good poem! (as always)