It's Simple | Teen Ink

It's Simple

By WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

If ignorance is bliss, why is our country so complicated?

It's
Simple, really
To be unkind
As simple as the
Resolution to change your mind
When the stinger comes
Out and your
Empathy goes
Blind

When
Your pride
Takes reign and
Your gaze turns red
And the only thought in
Your head, is how
To maim them
With words
Unsaid

And
The Adrenaline
Burns through your
Veins, cruelty leaving unwanted
Stains on the hearts of
Those who tried to
Sate your endless
Ache for
Pain

But
Then the
Fog dissipates and
Your vision begins to
Clear, and the strongest stench
To accompany fear is
The salty aroma
Of their
Tears

And
Your cosnceince
Is screaming, "You
Tore them apart," and
A dull throb will pierce
Your pounding heart, like
A flying arrow
Hitting its
Mark

It's
Simple, really
To find the
Line, between self defense
And waging a war against
The ones who call
Themselves your family
And your
Friends.

This was spur of the moment, to be honest. But I think--at least for me--there was a lot of truth in it.

CrazySissi GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington

My only love sprung from my only hate. Too early seen unknown and known too late.

I really like the way your poem flows and the format you wrote it in. Keep up the good work:)

RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

This one was cruelly beautiful and almost angelic! I loved it so much!! The rhymes were very well-written along with the choiceful placing of words! Great job!

LaChouette GOLD, Mount Vernon, New York

“And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.”
- George Carlin

I love rhyming poems and this one is great! I agree, there is a lot of truth in it and it seems like a light piece, but it really has some deep meaning. Nice Job!

dynasty7 GOLD said...
dynasty7 GOLD, Cochranville, Pennsylvania
i liked the format that you wrote it in, but my question is, did you write it like that? or did you write the poem then arrange it like that? Because it seemed like a bunch of the rhymes came in the middle of the line, which was a bit confusing. overall amazing

on Aug. 9 2012 at 1:04 am
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

Thanks so much! It's funny, conscience is one of those words I know how to spell but when I actually write out the word it always gets a bit skewered. And yeah, we did some poetry writing in my Language Arts class this year and my teacher had us do poems where it went by either number of syllables per line or number of words, so this one goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (with number of words). I like writing it that way!

on Aug. 8 2012 at 4:03 am
Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Wow, I am amazed. That was fantastic! I loved the meaning behind it. It's definitely one I can relate to. The emotion and meaning was quite clear and apparent. Only a couple of things stuck out: 1. Is there a reason behind the format of the poem? It is interesting, but I can't help but think that there's a reason behind it and I'm really curious. 2. you spelled conscience wrong, but that wasn't that big of a problem...just something that stuck out. Nothing else really stuck out...it was really well-written. On the spur poems tend to be really good as you just demonstrated. Nice going!