Being Next, First and Last | Teen Ink

Being Next, First and Last

June 24, 2012
By AGirlCalledChive BRONZE, Woodridge, Illinois
AGirlCalledChive BRONZE, Woodridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
Steve Jobs
US computer engineer & industrialist (1955 - 2011)


When sissy got sick, it was all her fault. Choking down pills. Being with the ""bad" crowd. Maybe just maybe if she didn't take that cigarette from that boy's fingers, just maybe I could ask for help.
When my kid brother wanted to run, but instead he got a weird lady coming to our house, to talk about his "feelings". Maybe just maybe, I could talk about mine.
So when mommy cried, and said sissy had took too many pills, maybe I could be next to her bed. Holding her hand, telling her that life will get better. And telling her I will be there for her.
Instead of my grandfather poking me and saying "Honey get used to the hospital, all the doctors. 'cuz honey your next."
When I turned to look at him, instead of screaming in his face, " I am already past my breaking point! Stop looking at me thinking I'm going to NEXT!. I can be the first or last of anything I choose!" I looked at him and whispered.
"ponka this is not a game, no one is winning or losing."
Being Next, First and Last


The author's comments:
I hate growing up, with people telling me I'm going to follow the path of my family. I'm going to grow up and die, one day without doing anything worth doing. I'm going to grow up ruined. So I turn around with my birdy and think of two roads a head of me one with black tops, and cars. Another with just forest. So into the forest I go, I don't mind a little hike.